Gonna buy a stock replacement pan, opinions?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Spectra Part # CRP03A Pan for my truck. It's $70 but its better than jerking around with a pan gasket on this same pan 6 times now for various reasons. I wanna replace my pan as it is leaking from the back, I know its not a rear main and its the pan. it leaks a small amount, but it'll leak a half a quart out in a month. The pan itself is pretty gnarled up as I am sure its probably the oil pan from the original 360 that caught fire in the truck. I am just curious if this would be a good pan to replace my current one.

Here's a pick of this gnarly thing. Yes, I just realized my drain plug is dripping a little too but its also leaking out from up top:banghead:
7zSGXfP.jpg

Just so you know for future use, I put a little rtv on my plug threads when I put it in.
Bone dry, and you don't have to cinch it down to keep it from seeping so it's a lot easier on the pan threads.

On the rear leak?
I have to say this,
If I had a guy in my shop that could tell me it was a pan leak for sure with the inspection cover on there I would give him a raise make sure I kept him. :D

(Probably even if he could tell for sure with the cover off)

The drain plug is an aftermarket "HELP" item with no plastic gasket under it.
Pan off 6 times??? Did you hammer the flanges straight?
It looks clean under there, 1/2 qt a month is not alot of oil for an old motor.
Plus oil is cheap.

Just so you know for future use, I put a little rtv on my plug threads when I put it in.
Bone dry, and you don't have to cinch it down to keep it from seeping so it's a lot easier on the pan threads.

On the rear leak?
I have to say this,
If I had a guy in my shop that could tell me it was a pan leak for sure with the inspection cover on there I would give him a raise make sure I kept him. :D

(Probably even if he could tell for sure with the cover off)
Pay up chump!:toothy10: I know its not as that was replaced less than 4,000 miles ago and I'm sure I installed it proper. that was pan removal #1 to install it wrong, and pan removal #3 to correct it

The drain plug is an aftermarket "HELP" item with no plastic gasket under it.
Pan off 6 times??? Did you hammer the flanges straight?
It looks clean under there, 1/2 qt a month is not alot of oil for an old motor.
Plus oil is cheap.
whoops! I'll get a gasket for it this oil coming oil change. I am planning on going to Brad Penn Green Stuff. None of this modern oil has the zinc we need.

and I smacked those flanges straight as hell. I took that pic to show how wavy the back of the pan is. those waves are about a 1/2" in and out

do i recall reading somewhere that ur truck has a 318 in? is this correct? if thats is so are you aware that 318/340 use the same oil pan and that a 360 uses a different pan because it has a small rear pan seal. if you have 360 pan on your 318 im not sure how it even fit but that could be the root of your problem!

do i recall reading somewhere that ur truck has a 318 in? is this correct? if thats is so are you aware that 318/340 use the same oil pan and that a 360 uses a different pan because it has a small rear pan seal. if you have 360 pan on your 318 im not sure how it even fit but that could be the root of your problem!
I forgot about that! yeah, its probably just a warped as hell 318 pan. and you probably just saw that in my signature. sorry, my brain is kinda slow today:hello2:

If you want to gunk up your threads,and possibly create more problems than you have,put RTV on it.

The proper way to do it is,keep threads clean and add the proper gasket to the drain plug.
Nice and clean with no leak.

-
Back