Good deal on a 340?

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
I've got a lead on a 1973 340 that has been disassembled, cleaned and checked at the machine shop. Its good. It has 360 heads, J's I think, on it. It's all there from oil pan to intake, heads are complete. . .That's all I know.
Good deal for $500?
Thinking about a 340 build for my A-body. Don't care about numbers matching. I've got a re-build 904 with trans-go stage II shift kit and 2500 stall.

On the same note, I know the '73 340s had something like 8.5:1 CR, short of buzzing the heads, what piston options do I have that would drop into a stock bore?
I think I'll stick with the 360 heads, are the X-heads really worth getting into?
Any ideas of HP for this build? say, 9.5:1 stock bore 340, comp 268 cam, gasket-matched 360 J heads and headers. My guess would be 350HP, so I think the 904 8 1/4 rear could take it.
Thoughts?

If its a reputable machine shop, I say go for it for $500. Sorry cant help with the other questions.

Sounds like a great deal. Make sure it is stock bore as you say and ask if the crank is stock. [never been turned] good luck!

Just talked to the guy at the machine shop, he said the 340 block should be bored and the crank should be cut. The engine is fine overall but just needs to be freshened up. He also said the balancer is cracked so it needs a new one. The heads checked ok but are indeed from a 360, low CR.

So he quoted me $180 for .030 over bore and .010 crank cut.

With this combo do you guys have any piston suggestions for a CR around 9.5:1 ?

This is a '73 block with a cast crank, should I worry about getting another crank for it?
I'm debating if this will be worth putting money into or just move on . . .

I think I'll stick with the 360 heads, are the X-heads really worth getting into?

In 73 a 340 or a 360 would have come with the same heads anyway. The only thing that would make the X heads different is they came with 2.02 diamter intake valves verse the 1.88 of the 340/360 head in 73. Cut the seats and have 2.02 vales installed in the eads you have and they would be the same as an X head.

-
Back