Good filler for dent/rust repair

-

loyal0ne

Reaction score
After welding in new pieces and grinding down, what filler do you guys suggest? not looking for the best stuff out there, my car will never be a show car, just looking for something better than "bondo". Thanks.

bondo is just a brand name, but they did invent the stuff so I believe you mean a polyester filler. There is nothing wrong with a polyester filler if applied correctly and there are variations of the filler. It gets a bad rap because people apply it over paint or rust then it falls off or cracks so they blame the filler.

Chuck

I like Evercoats metal to metal. Like everglass its reinforced. Everglass uses has short strand fiberglass and M2M is aluminum powder reinforced and they claim near waterproof. The M2M uses clear liquid hardener so be careful with its addition.

If the holes are deep, like lead replacement, I use Everglass. For shallow repairs on welds I use the M2M and general body work on top of those etc. I use the Evercoat Rage product.

Seank
Austin TX

If you've done some welding a thin coat of a water proof filler like duraglass is good protection in case you have any pin holes that water would eventually get in. Afterthat I use Evercoat Rage like most folks, over that you can use a polyester filler for easier feathering, Evercoat makes a good one.
As Chuck said "Bondo" is actually a brand name, and there is nothing wrong with it except it's expensive, usually sold at places like Walmart not an autobody supply place so it's not a volume product.

340mopar said:
bondo is just a brand name, but they did invent the stuff so I believe you mean a polyester filler. There is nothing wrong with a polyester filler if applied correctly and there are variations of the filler. It gets a bad rap because people apply it over paint or rust then it falls off or cracks so they blame the filler.

Chuck
alot of filler was done that way in the seventies, everybody thought they were experts with the stuff.

-
Back