Good Fitting Carpet Suggestion

-

hotrod3forty

Reaction score
After installing new carpet in my 69 340 Swinger, it has never laid down correctly and stays bunched up on the front floorboard. Can someone tell me who makes carpet that will fit correctly? I would really like to find a company that makes the rubber floor covering but all I can find is vinyl.....so I settled for carpet. What do the professional restorers use?

Thanks for any advice!

I had to trim mine a bit, did you trim your at all or just laid it in there? Might just need to do more trimming.

i ran beads of silicone where the factory had glued mine and left weights on all night to force mine to form

Heat gun on the back side will help it mold to the pans. Just be careful not to hold it on there to long or hit the front side as the carpet can melt. Also contact cement in the areas with deep contours will help. Coat back side and floor and allow it to tack up before you lay it down.

Good luck I have fought many carpets over the years and it takes patience and strength to get them to lay down well.

I let mine sit out in the hot sun for an hour and then laid it in and trimmed.

I wish we had hot sun......all we get is rain for the last 40 days. I'm putting pontoons on my barracuda as we speak.....

Lol that's funny. lucky I'll trade you, we've been having 100+ degree heat here in wonderful southern California

Thanks guys! I'll talk to the guy that put it in for me to see if he trimmed it or not. And I will follow your suggestions!

I put new carpet in last month and used hot rocks to form the corners. I heated up a turkey roaster full of river rocks to 180 degrees in the wife's oven (yeah she's a keeper) then filled some heavy duty garbage bags with 10 pounds of rocks each. The bags of rocks held their heat for quite a while, and did a pretty good job of forcing the carpet into the corners, especially in the back seat floor pan. Better than using dumbbells and didn't mess or damage the carpet.

-
Back