Good motor for 1972 Dodge Swinger

-

WIFENAMEDCARPOS

Reaction score
Looking for good ideas on motor for my 72 Dart. Has 318 in car with some nice addons. Just picked up 727 at Pullapart. Low Dollar build.

Get yourself an LA 360 hydrolic roller motor out of a 1989-91 pickup or van. Ditch the TBI in favor of a nice hi-rise and 4bbl carb. You can keep the serpentine setup if you like, but all your accessories from the 318 will bolt right up. Here's mine:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 215
On the other hand, why not build up the 318 a bit. You DID say it was a low budget build. I have no idea what your budget is or what your goals are, but Headers, mild cam, dual plane intake and a small 4 barrel would make for a nice street engine.

If your wife thinks your car is a POS like your screen name implies, then put a Chevy motor in it and follow that theme. lol

I had a 340 Demon with Tunnel Ram two fours with stall converter. Sold it at 18 after two many tickets for racing, now 54 Starting over. Picked up car in Kansas and the POS will be BAD when I am done. Thinking of replacing rear end with 8 3/4 I have a 727 to replace 904 And probably build 36o with headers, Use new intake I have with new four barrel that came with car and reinstall the crane electronic ignition. Inside car looks great quarters are coming off.

If you have the coin for the headers, I would go big block and never look back.

^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^383 would be killer.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 318/340 engines, but I get incredible reactions when people find out I have a BB in my Dart. Yeah it's 100 pounds heavier, and an expensive conversion, but I gotta go with what he said. Still cleaning things up and sorting things out, but think about a BB! Saw a Super Sano 440 duster last weekend at a MegaCruise and haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

BB gets my vote
While building this 72
I kept being told
Go Big or Go Home...LOL

engine plans started as 340
stroker 340
turbo 360

Finally robbed the stroker big block (540) from the Satellite
added a over drive /518 trans
and a Dana

Want it to hold it's own
on the street or at the track

project is almost finished
getting prepped for paint

004_zpsukubndog.jpg

004_zpsjjldnu95.jpg

006_zpsxbe2ac3j.jpg

Are those Max Wedge manifolds turned around bassackwards? :prayer:

Yes,
they fit BEST this way
only had to move the master cylinder over

001_zpsodqivmgr.jpg

other way, would have had to move the firewall back 3 1/2"

Head pipes run down thru the K-frame, where the sway bar would be.

014_zpszvqdhpr3.jpg

024_zpsef6yrons.jpg

You could put a 4" stroke in that 318! Depending on the bore, that would bring it up to 390 cubes! My buddy and I did this to a duster of his! With 10.7's 3000 stall 3.91's. He drives it to the track and runs an easy 7.5's in the eighth. Very streetable car! Lotsa fun! And I'm a big block guy too, but! What ever works! Good luck with it! Shane

Yes,
they fit BEST this way
only had to move the master cylinder over

001_zpsodqivmgr.jpg

other way, would have had to move the firewall back 3 1/2"

Head pipes run down thru the K-frame, where the sway bar would be.

014_zpszvqdhpr3.jpg

024_zpsef6yrons.jpg

Nice work Dragin, that is a great idea for a turbo!

Don't get me wrong, I love the 318/340 engines, but I get incredible reactions when people find out I have a BB in my Dart. Yeah it's 100 pounds heavier, and an expensive conversion, but I gotta go with what he said. Still cleaning things up and sorting things out, but think about a BB! Saw a Super Sano 440 duster last weekend at a MegaCruise and haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

That's why I say a solid 383 or a 440 if available would be killer.

-
Back