good price for a 4 speed?

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Found a 4 speed for sale locally, kind of right up the street actually. Is $200 a good price for this? I am going to look at it tomorrow night, what should I look for? He bought it from a guy and believes it to be in good condition. He found a 6 speed instead for his project car. I need to confirm if the shift linkage will work in my dart too... i can compare them to my repair manual, I think.

4 speed 833 maual overdrive tranmission includes shifter and shift rods. No bell housing. Stored inside.
01010101150101161020080617fc8621848329a6344000a8bd.jpg
011503010400010304200806176488b0f220e1e6941f00a295.jpg
0116070104000103082008061779ea7136970b3dd59f006a3d.jpg
01150801020601161220080617cbd0b550768ef1d07000fdd5.jpg

I thought that was a good thing?

I still never read up on the 4 speed like I should have. Printed a bunch of stuff on it just been too busy to actually read it.

Well, I cracked open the litearture and now know the difference bewteen the A and the OD. One article says it is weaker and the other makes no mention of it.

Should I pass and look for an A-833? I am not going to turn my car in a big horse power crazy machine. It is a stock 340 that runs really good, but I won't be doing much more to the engine.

I'll read mroe tonight. Just thought it seemed like a good price and wanted to jump on it.

What is weaker about them is the case...sort of. When behind "good" motors and banging gears, it's possible to hammer the counter cluster shaft out of the case. What Passion and others do is install a bushing in the case, so the shaft sits in the bushing rather than the aluminum case.

Definetly buy it! It has the shifter and the rods, very good deal. You can always resell it and make some extra cash.

$200 for the transmission and shifter is a good deal. The aluminum case OD will take anything a stock 340 will dish out. It's a little weak for a full bore 440 though.

Did you take off the side case to inspect the guts? Gears aren't cheap if you need them. If the guts look good, it's a good deal. I picked up a non od unit for 2 hundy but the guts looked real nice. Took everything to Jamie and needed 3rd gear + the rebuild parts and wear items.

Are you sure that's not a 3 speed shifter?

There are a few things that make the overdrive unit good and some make it bad.The 3.09 first gear is a stump puller,but there is a tremendous rpm drop at each shift there after. You can overcome this with a steep axle ratio. Overdrive units use the large 5.125-in diameter imput shaft bearing retainer. So you will have to produce the matching bellhousing. Definately need to do some reading before you make any 4-speed change.

Here is a great book with all the answers.

Good luck !

faucet pics.jpg

Thanks for all the good input.

When I spoke to the seller he said the gears look good, but we are going to pull the cover for my benefit.

The car was a 4 speed so from what I have learned the harder stuff is already done. The clutch pedal is actually still strapped to the fire wall just waiting to be brought back.

The car has the 727 and is really kind of poochy off the line. But it gets up gpes when I am already going down the road. I am hoping it is because the tranny and rear ratio and getting a 4 speed will let me enjoy it a little more. Or maybe it is the stall converter or whatever.

I'll see it tomorrow and go from there.

I bought it. Pulled the top and everything look great.

Now I guess I got to figure out what I need to get it installed... Guess I will start with locating a bell housing.

Get the book I mentioned. It will save you time and money.
Contains a plethora of information.:read2:

You sure are pimpin out that book... You know Frank Adkins?

Just kiddin, and I did buy the book. Actually I just ordered it, thanks for the recommendation. I am big fan of reading and having good inforamtion at my finger tips. And when my questions aren;t answered I have FABO.

And my cousin recommended that book some time ago, I should have listened to him.

thanks!

Never met the man in my life.

When you get the book you will understand.

I ran an aluminum od behind a built 383 with a 3.91SG rear in a 77 lil red clone. I beat the holy hell out of that clutch and it never failed.
He's right it is a great book!

Alright...who doesn't have that book raise your hand. The book is an excellent read.

Never met the man in my life.

When you get the book you will understand.

Jeez. This starting to sound almost spiritual... "When you get the book you will understand" I am imagining a guy in a robe high atop some foreign mountain saying that as he passes me a book.

I am counting the days now!
(And Mr. Adkins should be thanking you guys...)

-
Back