Good thing I had heavy leather gloves on!

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I am working on a GMC Jimmy tailgate for a powder coating customer. It is really rusty. I was cutting out a patch piece from some 16 gauge sheet metal, and the 3” cutting disk tool got away from me a bit. It sliced right through the heavy leather glove and wound up barely grazing my skin. Just think how much deeper the cutting disk would have dug into my skin if I hadn’t had those gloves on!
The moral of the story is, “Always wear proper safety gear”.

IMG_6861.jpeg

I am working on a GMC Jimmy tailgate for a powder coating customer. It is really rusty. I was cutting out a patch piece from some 16 gauge sheet metal, and the 3” cutting disk tool got away from me a bit. It sliced right through the heavy leather glove and wound up barely grazing my skin. Just think how much deeper the cutting disk would have dug into my skin if I hadn’t had those gloves on!
The moral of the story is, “Always wear proper safety gear”.

View attachment 1716230199
Yup. You were really lucky.

Summer of 2019, almost the same story, except I wasn't wearing gloves, and I had a 4-1/2" angle grinder "grab" and get away from me, which cut the tendon in the knuckle of the middle finger on my left hand:
IMG_5876.JPG

Despite two surgeries and a LOT of P/T, I can't bend that finger past this point (the second finger, not the first one here):
IMG_5874.JPG

And since the scar tissue "fused" the skin to the cartilage during an infection, I can't push this finger "flat against itself" (if that makes sense) no matter how hard I try.

Ever since that day, every time I see someone using a "death wheel" on TV who isn't using gloves I want to send them an email showing them my hand the day I cut it. (No, I won't post that here.)

Yeah, hurts like a mother, I know, but you were lucky.

And you're smarter than I was.

(But I have learned!)

Last edited:
You both got lucky, check this out. This concrete saw narrowly missed this guy as he’s entering a door.

Dyneema or kevlar gloves would’ve been too bulky to wear.

Glad you didn't get anymore than that. That couldda been bad.

Safety first. Too many of us take it for granted in our garages. I wear cut-proof close fitting gloves often on the weekends. Mandatory at work, and it can keep you from getting cut.

Glad you are ok. I do a lot of metal repairs, and my first recommendation is never buy a grinder that doesn't have a trigger style switch. The one with the on/off switch won't turn off, unless you turn it off.
Trigger style turns off as soon as you let go.

This is what happens when you don’t wear gloves. 4.5” cutting disc on my angle grinder. Was cutting rotten metal out of the quarter panel of a 70 Dart.

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1564.jpeg

I absolutely hate an angle grinder for this exact reason! I've had many many close calls and a couple small injuries that's could have been alot worse than they were with them. I had a close call just a month or so ago I had a cut off wheel buck and caught my sweatshirt. Luckily it didn't hit skin but it damn near beat me to death before I could unplug it.

Cant cut your hand if both hands are on the tool. Holding piece with one hand and grinder in the other will eventually bite you. Guards are a nuisance, i try to keep it on all the time. But alas i got it too, holding a piece and cutting, thought i would miss, but got my finger really good. Yet almost daily i do the same stupid things. Taking chances. Thats what it is in a nutshell. And i now have a really good face shield i use.

Looks nasty. Any long term issues with this?
It cut a tendon that runs over the top of my thumb that controls the end section of the thumb. I used to have “hitchhikers thumbs”, where the end joint extends past straight. Now it’ll only go straight. No big deal.

IMG_5897.jpeg

There is a reason they call it the "wheel of death!"
Li :thumbsup: :BangHead: ke he said, two hands on that booger. (Unless ya already cut one off!???)

And those guys on TV one hand cut metal all the time with no guard.
My little Skil scares me every time I pull the trigger.

-
Back