Good times

-
Don't kick yourself in the nuts just yet. Based on the layoffs in the tech sector, there's a bad moon rising.
The talking heads say watch what Amazon, etc. do as they had more eco data and more smarts than the gov ment!

The biggest hurtle to projects/material is that cost of such ain't coming down, I bet!

yup and you have to rebuild things like Power steering pumps instead of hunting them down on line and paying hundreds...if the rebuild kits are still available open up up and get it done.

I have noticed all the fast food places have brought their value menus back. I was told awhile back in macroeconomics, that fast food is a good market indicator. During good times there are no value menus, when the economy is barely making it, the value menus come out because they have to compete to survive.

I'm single with no kids but I really feel for the family people raising kids and running a good ol classic family circus with a minivan and the expenses.
The big advantage is they have kids and that's the real valuable thing more than any dollar amount so just hang in there, you rich family people.

I agree. Apparently we eat a lot.
It is, shall we say, interesting?

I have 3 kids and 1 wife and between the 5 of us, we spend roughly half on groceries of what you just quoted

Now, my oldest will be 13 next month so the other two don't eat too much, but it's still a big difference

I see we both live in Michigan, FWIW, I shop at meijers

I wonder if my family eats our more then yours, that could skew the numbers, but we really don't do that a lot iether

$500 a week, that's ridiculous
If he has two big kids and they put three good meals on the table seven days a week, I could see a really big grocery bill
It also depends on what they are eating and how they shop
I wasn't meaning that. It's what everything cost these days, there's no excuse for it.

Were I live there are many food stores, a lot of competition and if you shop wisely you can save a lot of money
I just bought chicken cutlets for the 3 teenage granddaughter. I paid 2.99 a pound. I had to trim them and slice them but thats easy enough. I bought 4 pounds and they eat them over a couple of days
I also tried this Italian butcher shop, I saw a ad in the paper and decided to check it out, I bought some fresh sausage they made themselves and some short ribs for 8 dollars a pound
Taking my wife there soon

If he has two big kids and they put three good meals on the table seven days a week, I could see a really big grocery bill
It also depends on what they are eating and how they shop

Were I live there are many food stores, a lot of competition and if you shop wisely you can save a lot of money
I just bought chicken cutlets for the 3 teenage granddaughter. I paid 2.99 a pound. I had to trim them and slice them but thats easy enough. I bought 4 pounds and they eat them over a couple of days
I also tried this Italian butcher shop, I saw a ad in the paper and decided to check it out, I bought some fresh sausage they made themselves and some short ribs for 8 dollars a pound
Taking my wife there soon
We have a Walmart, Aldi's, Mosers, schucks. Mosers is the most expensive. We watch for sales and use coupons.

Good Times. I'm sure only some of a certain age will get this.

GOOD TIMES.jpeg

Last edited:
It is, shall we say, interesting?

I have 3 kids and 1 wife and between the 5 of us, we spend roughly half on groceries of what you just quoted

Now, my oldest will be 13 next month so the other two don't eat too much, but it's still a big difference

I see we both live in Michigan, FWIW, I shop at meijers

I wonder if my family eats our more then yours, that could skew the numbers, but we really don't do that a lot iether

I'm not sure where it all goes to be honest, we are starting to track it closer this year due to how high it seems. I was lumping all food into that total, whatever my credit card spit back as groceries and restaurants. We were shopping at Kroger and Sam's Club primarily, since Kroger is the only thing close to us, however, we have recently switched to the local Target. Their meat is considerably cheaper, and usually cooks up better and their produce is also cheaper and lasts close to twice as long as Krogers. The best part is, you order online and they bring it all to your car! Super convenient. We eat dinner out at a sit down joint occasionally, maybe twice a month tops, but we do grab lunches and quick dinners occasionally. Our kids are both into sports and have practice 5 days a week, they get home from the bus stop at 4:45, which is also when I get home from work, and 2 of the days each week they both have to be at their practices by 5:30, so it's cutting it close as is. We try to cook at home those early start days, but it's hard to squeeze a meal in unless we crock pot something, so we do hit Jimmy Johns or Subway and eat in the car instead of at home. That adds up fast, 3-4 sandwiches at either place is easily $25-30, do that 3-4 times a month, there's an easy hundred bucks plus. Breakfasts are usually eggs, which are now insanely priced and we easily go through 3-4 gallons of milk a week. Somehow we drop an easy $350-400 a month at Sam's in addition to that as well.

We have a Walmart, Aldi's, Mosers, schucks. Mosers is the most expensive. We watch for sales and use coupons.
Id never buy groceries/meat in a Walmarts. Its not enough they sell cheap crap, now they want to take over country putting small butchers, grocers out of business
I wouldn't trust were they source meat either
I guess one of the advantages of living were I do is we have so many food options I couldn't begin to count

I'm not sure where it all goes to be honest, we are starting to track it closer this year due to how high it seems. I was lumping all food into that total, whatever my credit card spit back as groceries and restaurants. We were shopping at Kroger and Sam's Club primarily, since Kroger is the only thing close to us, however, we have recently switched to the local Target. Their meat is considerably cheaper, and usually cooks up better and their produce is also cheaper and lasts close to twice as long as Krogers. The best part is, you order online and they bring it all to your car! Super convenient. We eat dinner out at a sit down joint occasionally, maybe twice a month tops, but we do grab lunches and quick dinners occasionally. Our kids are both into sports and have practice 5 days a week, they get home from the bus stop at 4:45, which is also when I get home from work, and 2 of the days each week they both have to be at their practices by 5:30, so it's cutting it close as is. We try to cook at home those early start days, but it's hard to squeeze a meal in unless we crock pot something, so we do hit Jimmy Johns or Subway and eat in the car instead of at home. That adds up fast, 3-4 sandwiches at either place is easily $25-30, do that 3-4 times a month, there's an easy hundred bucks plus. Breakfasts are usually eggs, which are now insanely priced and we easily go through 3-4 gallons of milk a week. Somehow we drop an easy $350-400 a month at Sam's in addition to that as well.
Your exactly like my son and daughter with their children. The boys play little league and even in the off season there is practices and other activities
The girls have been into dance since pre-school days and they dance almost every day
Come home from school they are hungry, come home from dance or practice they are hungry again.
My oldest g-daughter is 5'10'' she has to weigh 150 and not a once of fat on her and when she is hungry, she can chow down
I got a kick out of your post as it is exactly like my daughter and son's situation but you and your wife are obviously raising them the right way. Im sure my kids spend about what you do as well

Absolutely ridiculous, but sadly that's the state of things now
The economy grew by nearly 3% in the forth quarter, while tech jobs have seen some layoffs, un employment is continuing to drop
Not boom times but not the gloom and doom some like to think

Thanks for the kind words. We don't force them to do anything either, we have tried many different things and they have both found something that they like and want to keep doing. My kids are still little, the smaller of the two doesn't make a huge dent in the food bill, it's mostly just time. He does karate M-Th and on Saturday, but the older one (9) sure packs away the food, he easily eats 50% more than I do already. He competitively swims, so his 5 day a week practices that are 2 hours each sure burn some calories. He generally puts in a couple miles of swimming each day plus practicing dives and flip turns. Not sure how he does it, I can barely make it 1 length (25 yards) without being whooped. lol

The economy grew by nearly 3% in the forth quarter, while tech jobs have seen some layoffs, un employment is continuing to drop
Not boom times but not the gloom and doom some like to think
At this point, I don't trust a God-damned word out of the government's mouth.
Especially when it doesn't match up with what I can see with my own two eyes.

I'm pretty sure those two on the lower left aren't dancing.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinkin. They're dancin alright, just not like all the rest. And just think, that painting was shown on prime time tv in front of millions of people back in the 70s. LOL

$500 a week, that's ridiculous
I'm having this discussion at home right now. Kids grown just 2 of us but I'm asking the wife "is there way way to do this cheaper?" for example don't buy brownies buy the mix and bake 'em at home, same with other things that can be made from scratch. Scratch cooking is better health wise because you control what goes in, its just that people have become lazy don't want to cook. we both work but on the weekends things can be made. It has always been either you have time or money if you have time do things the long way its cheaper. The way to survive economic hard times is to change habits. I can always revrt to drinking cheap beer when I have to and I have a few recommendations, Yuengling Lager and Hamm's, but thats as cheap as Ill go LOL!

Part of the problem is labor $is UP. It will take a lot of recession/unemployment for that to come down. The talking heads tell us, yes inflation is down a little, but look out this summer it will go back up...up.
Unless someone is buying a new car or home, inflation is energy, food.
"Someone" used the "helicopter" approach with the Covid lock down and tossed out trillions.
This is NOT politics just life as we know it.
As we move into more inflation costs, recession We all see price of projects coming down. But remember rich people always have $$$ and their toys are toys. Priece of gas and food does not affect them. Most of the Mopar camps done cars are owned by middle class. It will take a hard economy down the price of theirs???
We have laying hens,:BangHead: anyone needs any eggs $10/doz.!!!!

The only way I keep my project going is that I have collected parts and supplies during past years... and I also buy used parts and make them work. I was one of the fortunate( or unfortunate?) ones who didn't get laid off during COVID so staying home and working on my projects didn't happen and it probably wouldn't have without money to burn LOL! Anyone just starting now with a basket case or roller and want to bring it all the way back further than just a roll cage drag car? Id say save your money and get something in better shape. In the end it would make better financial sense. Restoring an interior from nothing is costly. etc.

Most are saying the big degree high wage sit behind a desk and do nothing jobs will get hit the most with layoffs. trades, car repair roofing plumbing things like that will survive, you still need a roof wether you can afford it or not.

-
Back