Got a Tranny Question for you guys

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Ok so I'm a little stumped to this one. I recently aquired a 99 Durango 4x4 5.9. I know the trannys are notorious for being temperamental so here's what it's doing. In drive just accelerating normally it goes through the gears fine. If you get on it even a little bit, 2nd gear goes away. So I went through the gears manually and 2nd gear has NOTHING.????? I dropped the pan and fluid and filter was dirty but not burnt smell at all. Maybe a pressure governer? Overdrive button is not working either but that could be another seperate issue. But why would it shift through all the gears under normal driving, but free revs when you kick it down or nothing at all manually dropping it in second? I'm stumped and before I start throwing a bunch of money at this sucker I figured I'd ask some of you guys that probably have or had a Durango. Thanks guys
Rick

I'm no transmission builder, but I did work in the industry for a lot of years. If it was me, I'd get the thing scanned at a transmission shop you trust. There might be an issue with one or all of the electronic components: the dual pack solenoid (for 3-4 and lockup solenoid), trans pressure sensor, governor pressure solenoid, output speed sensor.
The transmission is a reliable unit and properly looked after can provide many miles of service

So I dropped the pan and pulled the overdrive plunger. It came out in pieces. After further research when that spring breaks it starves the clutch pack and breaks stuff. Pulled the valve body and one of the retainers broke and fell out. Think it's toast��

I'm no transmission builder, but I did work in the industry for a lot of years. If it was me, I'd get the thing scanned at a transmission shop you trust. There might be an issue with one or all of the electronic components: the dual pack solenoid (for 3-4 and lockup solenoid), trans pressure sensor, governor pressure solenoid, output speed sensor.
The transmission is a reliable unit and properly looked after can provide many miles of service

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say since it's a computer controlled trans. :D
It may look a lot like the older ones but diagnosis on electronic controlled transmissions is almost completely different, so it's always a good idea to ask the computer first.

Yea couldn't get any info from the diagnostic port so had to go old school and get dirty, and boy did I. Think I'm going to yank the 5.9 Mag and part it out. Sad because the motor runs amazing. Be a good A body swap motor.

-
Back