got me a charger today :)

-
Don't leave the battery hooked up directly to the coil for too long, I had a coil blow up doing that, last time I ever let my cousin wire my car.

I'd replace the points and condenser. It really sounds like he has a wiring problem however hotwiring the ignition bypasses a lot of those issues. With a hotwire, it should start with good plugs, wires, condenser, and points UNLESS that gas is 20 years old. He needs fresh gas. Using starter fluid will go a long way in seeing if the engine will run. If all is well, a shot of starting fluid will start that engine. It may not run very long but it will start.

Did you check plugs? Plug wires?

I think i'm late in this thread.

He has a points style ignition, and that means there's a lot more that matters. :)

I know it has points. But by hot wireing the coil, it bypasses any other possibilities.

when the coil is hot wired see if you have spark at the spark plug
If no, It a problem from the plugs back to the coil. No balast resistors, or any other wiring needs to be chacked.

It sounds like you have some extra cars, i would pull a distributer ( that you know is good) and put it on, and see if it changes anything. if it doesn't barrow a cap and rotor from another car...still not starting, Barrow a coil, still not staring change the pug wires. still not starting...buy new parts because what you thought was good...is bad. if you put in a good distributer, and it does run, then its prob your points. you could also turn your car over with the cap off and inspect that your points are working etc etc.

All I meant is by hotwireing the coil, you have LESS to check. just the coil...forward, not the hole wireing of the car.

once you get it running, with the new part, take the hot wire from the coil, and see if it will work by key. and then your done...oir maybe not.

Phil

What exactly are you doing to the car to get it running? I have bought lots of cars, and have had cars that have been sitting for years, and they seam to all fire up with minimal playing around with.

I would dis conect the gas line to the carb. if it fires, and sucks in some crap, you won't be happy.

Oh and yes, Don't just drain and re fill the tank. Take the tank out and get it cleaned. this is what my duster's sending unit looked like, and the inside of the tank was the same way. it was off the rd for about 10 years.
carparts016.jpg

I also recomend getting rid of the points system too. Easy swap. I did it to my duster...I also swaped the engine fopr a 440 though ;)

Phil

That is a nasty tank :/ but yea checking your filter and lines could be key to why it not starting, as for spark the distributor is the only culprit i see at the moment. Yes the coils will blow up if you leave them on too long, that why all these fancy new cars have an Acc position on their switches...lucky :p

How do you plan on taking off the rust on top?

I don't know if this will help you but the points almost always need filed
or replaced and the condensers dry out and short.
You will have juice to the points but no output to the coil.
I have a boat tank rigged with an electric pump,filter for fuel to the carb.
Just be sure you disconnect the fuel tank from your stock pump or it will
pump its contents on the motor and ground.
hope this helps.

don't get too carried away with starting fluid either

-
Back