Got me another early A!

-

vntned

Reaction score
So my ‘64 Dart has been in storage for about two years now. Other projects have gotten in the way. I’ve been steady collecting parts to put a 340W2 setup in it this time around.

Anyways, one of the cars I’ve been working on was an Omni GLH turbo. After spending too much money and 9months getting it put together how I wanted it, I got it on the road. A few months later and the turbocharger self destructs. So out of frustration, I reach out to a friend who has wanted my GLH since I got it and we worked out a trade.

I ended up with a ‘65 Dart GT. 225 auto. Was original gold with a black bucket seat interior. The original engine was toast and has been replaced with a rebuilt ‘87 225 hydraulic cam engine. Still has the original torqueflite under it. The front suspension has been rebuilt, sway bar added, and a new disc brake conversion with BBP. The original 7.25” rearend was replaced with an 8.25”. The car runs and yard drives.

The front seats have been recovered and have new foam. The original rear seat looks minty fresh. Floor pan was patched. Sound deadener and new carpet kit. Heater box was allegedly rebuilt as well. Some of the weather stripping has also been replaced.

So there’s a long list of stuff to fix, but first I need to adjust the glass so the doors can shut without hitting the rear quarter windows. Not really sure on how that’s done.

Anyway here’s a couple of pictures. More to come later.

935527A0-622B-48AE-971C-1E402FA8FBBB.jpeg

3C4B2EC2-1B5D-4C09-8CD3-8ACA2A7C22F0.jpeg

Cool lookin car! I hope they took care of the mismatch between the crankshaft register and torque converter hub.

RRR, I’ve never messed with a newer slant. Could you explain what the mismatch is exactly? I assume the fix is to use the converter that matches the crank based on year model?

I do believe its the size the hole is in the crank, Early/6 engines have a small small hole in the crank register.

RRR, I’ve never messed with a newer slant. Could you explain what the mismatch is exactly? I assume the fix is to use the converter that matches the crank based on year model?
I believe the split is 1968. 68 and prior slant 6 engines had a smaller crankshaft register (hole where the converter hub fits) than the 69 and forward. So, if you swap in a later engine in front of the early transmission, you will need an adapter ring to slip into the crankshaft register to properly center the converter. Otherwise, you can and will damage the converter bushing and front seal at the very least and might damage the front pump and converter itself. I think @Charrlie_S has the correct size adapter rings. At least he did for a long time.

Well.......you CAN do it that way, BUT the early transmissions also have a different input spline count, SO what you have to have made is a custom converter with a late large converter hub front half and an early correct spline count rear half. But the adapter ring works fine and is a much cheaper alternative. I don't think I would run it anymore until you find out for sure if that was taken care of. Because the late engine WILL FIT the early transmission as if everything is fine if they didn't know about the crankshaft register difference.

360 and a 4 speed swap then hit the track!wait a minute,you already have one for that.

Do you still have your 64 that uscartool used? That was always one of my favorites. I purchased my wheels for 65 street car because of it lol.

AC3E3580-DCE4-4CEC-9611-61B9360FE598.jpeg

-
Back