Got my 2nd 69 4 speed Dart...36 years later

-

F&J

Reaction score
Hi, I am 55 and in Ct. I bought a 69 Swinger 340-4sp back in 1970 with 13,000 miles then. I bought it at a foreign car dealership where I worked. The car was mint; Hemi orange, black bench, black stripe, 391's, factory hoodpins, full wheel covers (not the mag style). That was the nicest muscle car I ever owned as far as condition, and the most power. I sold it a year or two later :sad1: because it was a liitle rough on gas mileage.

I have been buying cars for resale on & off my whole life to earn extra money. A local guy had a 69 Dart convertible parked at an apartment back in 1991. I left a note on it and he called me back. He really didn't want to sell it but gave me the info: It was a factory 69 GT conv that was a 273-4sp with an open 8-3/4 3:23. It had a 318 in it when he bought it in 1980. He had a "built" 73 Dart 340 put in it and also put on the GTS/Swinger bulge hood.

Fast forward; He and I both had sons born in 1992 and our sons became friends through school. I re-met the car owner a few years ago when I dropped my son off at their house. I told him that I was the one who wanted the Dart years ago. His 2 older stepsons were then trying to restore the car which sat in a barn for 10+ years. Well. last year he called me to say that he can't drive anymore, and wanted to sell it. Someone else had first dibs on it for years but he could not get ahold of that guy....So I got it :)

So now my son wants to do a project together with me. The motor was out for freeze plugs, and we got it back in in a week. It runs good but has a rumpy cam. We picked up a Direct Connection six-pac manifold, and a used set of D/Connection mechanical secondary carbs which will go on this week. We also found an original set of Offenhauser valve covers, a posi unit, and a set of used Centerlines 5" in the front, 7" rears. The car is still the original paintjob in medium green, but we are going black. The car is almost rustfree. I am not really a convertible person, but my son is.

Welcome to this site F&J you have got a dandy car and the history of this car will stay with you for ever!!!
Keep us posted and enjoy this great place.

Welcome, You will become a drop top man when you start driving it around. Dave

congrats on your get!!!!

sounds like karma was meant for you to be with that car.

welcome, and i second the pics comment too!!!

be safe and keep us up to date.

blind :glasses1:

-
Back