Got my 65 running but park cable not holding

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
Finally today with a reman carb and some distributor adjustment my 65 Valiant 170 started up and ran good. I drove it around our big driveway and it runs smooth and quiet. However, when in park it doesn't hold and the e-brake doesn't hold. It's been sitting outside for a total of about 4 years, 2 years at our house and 2 outside a shop. This has cables for the park and shifter. Is there an adjustment for the park cable? I would say the brakes are questionable after sitting for that long but when I hit the pedal they stopped ok, but didn't want to take it on the road just yet.

ebrake --check your rear cables-- they freeze allot at the connection at the rear backing plate.
I have a 62 fsm & the park brake should be the same,(I'll ck) Lawrence

Full parking brake adjustment will help. Sometimes other people have "changed" too many adjustments. Start by backing off the parking brake cable adjustment. Then adjust the rear brakes to a light drag, after that adjust the parking cable till it functions as expected. If you have completed the rears the fronts should be adjusted next. not as much trouble as rear. Of course keep eye open for brake fluid leaks at wheel cylinders and correct if found.
edit: of course check those cables also.

-
Back