Got my '68 Dart GT back

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
Well, a week or so ago, after my 727 tranny started spewing fluid, I took my Dart to the transmission shop (Westminster Transmission - as recommended by Sean Murphy Induction- our local Holley Guru) ...

The shop rebuilt my trans, and what a difference..!!

They replaced my 1968 valve body for one from a 1972, added "performace" bands and clutches, and now I also have Partial Pedal Kickdown...

I don't have to go Medieval at WOT to get Kickdown as I had to do before, but rather it comes on at half-pedal if I press the Pedal there Quickly rather than Gradually, as in "normal" accelerating when driving sedately.

Also, on Decel when coming to a stop, it downshifts noticeably...(never did that before)

The UP-shifts (in "DRIVE") are noticeable, but not with Gut-Wrenching, tire-chirping action..

All in all, it acts a lot more like a Muscle-Car trans than it did before the rebuild, which was to be expected, as this 727 was in an Imperial or such originally.. It still had its Asbestos clutches when they pulled it apart.

All I have to say is: Nice..!

It was raining out today, so I didn't get a chance to really "Get On It" with Manually Shifting....because, as it was, it started already spinning and tailfishing the few times I tried to push it..but as soon as the roads dry up, SEE-YA..!

I'm gonna have to redraw my learning curve and re-train my accelerator foot with this new retrofit..

This is good....
icon6.png

--

..............Thats great Mike.............a decent shifting trans is fun to drive.........what kit did they use?......did u use type F fluid?.....kim...........

..............Thats great Mike.............a decent shifting trans is fun to drive.........what kit did they use?......did u use type F fluid?.....kim...........

Hi Kim..

They did not use a Shift Kit, they just adjusted and did some black magic to the new(newer) Valve body.

The owner of the shop, Joe, has been around 30+ years and he's got a very good rep building transmissions for many Muscle Car & Hot Rod people around here. Nice guy. He even went to some junk yard and got a Speedo Gear for my trans so that I now have a working Speedometer for the first time ever in this car, ...And I had not asked for that.

We did not use Type F. Just regular MOPAR trans fluid.

-
Back