Got my Purple Ramcharger Wheels for Duster back from PowderCoating *pics*

-

shanker

Reaction score
I have a set of ramcharger wheels that have been cut and backspacing reset so that the tire is moved more underneath the car (must be mini-tubbed).

So i figured I'd get them powdercoated for my wife's duster (its Plum Crazy)...the powder coater did not get the color right...but these wheels are only going to have drag radials put on them for when we beat on the car at the strip or wanna have some red-light fun so it doesn't really matter...

but I'm happy with them I guess.

Attachments

• Purple Duster Wheels01s.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Purple Duster Wheels02s.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 392
That's why all most everyone on FABO use Leanna @ PSC for their powder coating. She can usually get it right the first time, and customer service from her is top notch. Besides that, all FABO members get a discount. Check out her site to see some of her best work and ask some of the members how her work stacks up against others.

i have some parts with her right now and cant wait to get them back

shipping these wheels to and from anywhere, would have cost more than 1/2 of what I paid to get them powdercoated

But you got to figure that as 21$x2x2. That would run $84 in just shipping costs. I am getting ready to get my Super Coupe wheels powder coated and the quote for all four wheels was $120 here locally. As much as I would love to support Leanna, I have a budget and I would have to pay shippingx4x2. So it would end up costing me over double. Thats $120+ that can put somewhere else in the car.

My $.02

They look good, however when you end with "but I'm happy with them I guess", I am thinking you may not be?

Grant

I seriously doubt Leanna could have guaranteed a color match without a sample of the paint that is on your car (Like shipping the trunk lid along with the wheels).

They do look really nice, and those Ram Charger rims are a tough find!

yep...this particular set was cut and had the backspacing setup for a mini-tubbed A-Body (done before i got them)..

My other set are on the rear of my 70 Coronet R/T :)

That's why all most everyone on FABO use Leanna @ PSC for their powder coating. She can usually get it right the first time, and customer service from her is top notch. Besides that, all FABO members get a discount. Check out her site to see some of her best work and ask some of the members how her work stacks up against others.

I appreciate that Bill -- except the "usually" part LOL!!! ;-) -- but it's true that shipping costs on steelies greatly limit the number that show up here at my shop. A set of four (two 8x10s and two 8x14s) Wheel Vintiques' Gennie rims shipped to Mississippi early last year was almost $100 just for the insured return trip. I don't hold it against anybody ... ya'll have been keeping me busy with non-wheel projects for a few years now. :-D But I don't enjoy seeing anyone have to put up with less-than-desirable work because it makes everybody in the metal finishing industry look bad.

i have some parts with her right now and cant wait to get them back

And I can't wait to get started on them Tim! That Cuda is gonna be sweet. :-D

I seriously doubt Leanna could have guaranteed a color match without a sample of the paint that is on your car (Like shipping the trunk lid along with the wheels).

Not trying to stir stuff up, but that's not Plum Crazy purple......

Where did they get that color?

Very true FormulaS! I can't speak to how other shops arrive at a certain color choice but "the powder coater didn't get the color right" is something that I have yet to hear. My customers choose the color, I don't.

The best, most accurate way to color match is to use a real paint sample, but tossing your trunk lid in the box with your valve covers obviously isn't a viable option. Instead, I send out color swatches for review and follow it up as necessary by asking for something small -- a plastic body plug with overspray on it, or a piece of the paint can label where a drip ran down the side -- to narrow the shade down. With over 6,500 powder colors available including custom matching, my supplier CAN find the right color ... it just takes some effort to properly track it down.

Personally Shanker, I'd be more concerned about why they just powder coated right over top of the wheel stickers (see the rim at the top of the photos). That makes me wonder what ELSE they covered up or if the stickers' adhesives were removed first. Keep in mind that proper powder coating prep involves media blasting ......... and wheel stickers do NOT survive media blasting.

Color matching with normal paint is a difficult thing. I needed a sample and good, bright ,natural daylight to achieve a great match,which I could do btw 90% of the time.

Folks used to bring me fender's,patches of interior material,etc. Whatever color or material it' was didnt really matter. But a sample is a must.

Personally Shanker, I'd be more concerned about why they just powder coated right over top of the wheel stickers (see the rim at the top of the photos). That makes me wonder what ELSE they covered up or if the stickers' adhesives were removed first. Keep in mind that proper powder coating prep involves media blasting ......... and wheel stickers do NOT survive media blasting.

good catch, thats because I didnt peel the masking tape off. They masked the area's where the bead sits so that it'll seal better. The shop that did it claims that w/o beadlocks, the tire can spin on the wheel if the tire sits on a powdercoated surface....

The wheels were sandblasted before being coated...they charged me 15 for the blasting (per wheel) and 35 for the finish (per wheel). hence why I'm satisfied with the finish.

if you look at the wheel thats laying down, you'll see on the inside where the bead sits where the masking has been peeled back (where its silver).

-
Back