got told NOT to get a converter.......

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
ok...so i have a 400 with a .509 cam, and will be getting the 3.91 suregrip in soon (i'll have pics of the suregrip rebuild), and a mopar guy i work with said not to get a stall converter, because it sucks on the street...and so do headers....he's had a few a-bodies with big blocks and said he hated having headers or converters in them.....

my thinking is that it's not a daily driver, and a 3000-3500 converter won't be bad....also...the car is loud anyway, and i can't imagine headers will be that noticeable...he says I have good manifolds. he also says that you can't get to spark plugs with headers....i'm thinking it's been awhile since he's had them and new headers have come out that solve these issues, like tti and schumacher....

oh, and he says the take-off on the street with a stall converter is way too wild.....

You buddy hasnt ever used a good converter or a good set of headers. A good 9.5" or 10" wont even be noticable till you smash the gas pedal.

What's this dudes problem? No stall???? I say don't let anyone tell you what you NEED. Do what you want. If you don't get a stall it will run like crap off the line. I have a 3000 stall on my car and it's not really that WILD. But it is definately fun though! :lol:

I agree with Fastbackcuda, if it's a good converter it won't feel like oatmeal.
Sounds like that mopar guy you work with may have some outdated information, or he doesn't want ya to have a faster car than him :wink: :lol: .
As for the headers, Pro Parts also makes Big block A body headers, but requires a few header pipes holes cut in your inner fenderwells.
So get some headers, you'll notice it all right, in the horsepower department! :wink:

Yeah those factory manifolds (especailly if they are A body ones) dont flow well at all.

Another reason you need a converter. With all that duration of the .509" cam and low compression its not going to idle well. A tight converter is going to make things worse. Loosen the converter up will elp and your car wont want to creep at a traffic light with your foot on the brake.

thanks, guys....

it is pretty much a dog off the line, but when it hits about 4000, the front end rises up, and the car really takes off

also...about headers....i am looking at schumacher and tti....i saw the comparison between them, and am not sure if i like the schumachers or not....the look like they fit much better, but is there someone here who has ttis?
how are the plugs to get to??i plan on a new starter IF i go with tti, that way it'll be awhile, since i don't know how old the current one is...

I had the 1-7/8" TTI headers in a 70 Cuda and the plugs were pretty easy to get to. Im not sure how the 2" headers in an a body will be.

My headers are pretty close to 2" if not 2" Hookers into 3" collectors.
No problems changing plugs. Stall is 3200-3500 and going higher.
I drive mine on the street and I'm going to 4:30 gears.

I agree your friend must be talking about way back when ,when he had an A body. :thumrigh:

Ps. Go mini starter!

The mini starter is a good idea with any headers.

Tony you have hookers right ?

they are either 1-5/8 or 1-3/4. If you have power steering they are only 1-5/8"

that dude is nuts... a nice 3000 stahl would be nice on that and i love the pro parts headders for abodies..

green67cuda said:
), and a mopar guy i work with said not to get a stall converter, because it sucks on the street...and so do headers....he's had a few a-bodies with big blocks and said he hated having headers or converters in them.....

my thinking is that it's not a daily driver, and a 3000-3500 converter won't be bad....also...the car is loud anyway, and i can't imagine headers will be that noticeable...he says I have good manifolds. he also says that you can't get to spark plugs with headers....i'm thinking it's been awhile since he's had them and new headers have come out that solve these issues, like tti and schumacher....

oh, and he says the take-off on the street with a stall converter is way too wild.....

Well, i don't know what you do there in States, but this is my own experience of chancing headers and converter...

First we have a regular headers in a '74 Valiant with the 383, it ran like 15.8, then we have 383 magnum headers, it ran 15.4, no, the weather wasn't similar than the first run and the track was diffrent, but the result is in the time card...

Then we tried out diffrent stuff, and finally , after 6 years, we get our first 2.01 60 feet, and the best et, converter was change to god only knows, how high, but five people remember that converter was a approx. 3500-3800 and manufacturer was unknown...

So, don't leasning your friend, he or she does haven't a glue what he or she is talking about...

Now we have tci 2500-2800 rpm converter, but it is too slow...
This summer we try something else so if you know a good converter maker , tell it to me also...

-
Back