Gotta make a decision...

-

451Cuda

Reaction score
I've been looking for an decent '67 to '69 barracuda coupe to build for awhile, with not much luck. I want a rolling shell that needs work and is cheap. The problem is, most I've seen are too expensive and nice to modify, or 2000 miles away.

What I DO have is an '83 Mazda RX-7 sitting in my storage shed right now. Paid $300 for it from the local police auction a couple years ago, because it has zero rust and pretty decent paint and interior. I was planning to do a 5.0 Ford/t5 swap and either have a fun driver or make some money off it. Yesterday I went out to take pics of it because I was thinking of just throwing it on craigslist, then I got out my tape measure...

I could notch the firewall a little and set my 400 stroker/727 setup almost behind the front wheel centerline. That would give me really nice transfer, a very short drive shaft, and lots of room under the hood. I would probably need to notch the cowl panel for my air box, which is okay since I plan to run lexan windshield and side windows.

Stock weight of an '83 RX-7 is 2335, and race weights are typically around 2000 to 2100 pounds. When people swap in a SBC it gains about 75-125 pounds. B engine Mopar is probably another 80-100 pounds more than a sbc i'm guessing? I'm thinking it could be a 2400-2500 pound car minus driver when it's all said and done.

Opinions? Suggestions? Barracuda coupes to sell me near Nebraska?

-
Back