Grandson vs. Grandfather

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So a few weeks back I was having a discussion with a fellow Mopar man and we got talking about how I was following in my grandpa's footsteps. He has been a Mopar man since the late 50s and has not only owned rare hemi 4 speed cars, Max Wedge drag cars, local street racing legend and also worked as a mechanic on Bob Keslowskis team.... as he is 80 he is past his high spending, high horsepower racing days and now he just works on the old 80s farm equipment. I'm young, dumb and wrecklessly spending money for the adrenaline kick he and many others have had at my age.
Now I'm building a W9 3.58" stroke 360 that I hope to turn 7,500 rpm out of and make in the 650 HP range. Lots of compression with custom Diamond pistons with all of the fancy coatings connected to Molnar H-beam rods and using a Molnar crank, lots of solid roller cam made by Racer Brown while using methanol & 4 speed in all of ita Brewers glory because why not. I'm having fun with this build, it'll be a pure adreline rush once done and all the brand new shiny and expensive parts.
However my grandpa is currently building a 360 to swap into his old farm truck.... using parts he has scrounged up in his barns and off his shelf. 1970 360 flat top pistons and rods that were sitting on the dirt floor in a barn because I yanked them out of my block that I used for my W9 build and didn't need them, an old E58 crank sitting on a pallet in that same barn, 915 heads that I bought and had just sitting there, a factory cast iron 4 340 intake just sitting in the corner of the shop topped off by a Thermoquad that came from a 440 in a motor home, then just a basic off-the-shelf Summit 6901 cam. All of that just in the name of swapping out that 318 in his 75 farm truck so he can go pick up farm equipment on the gooseneck and more comfortably tow it around. Someway, somehow I got lost in the brand new shiny parts and forgot that he is old school and pieces stuff together (still done the right way don't you worry) just to do stuff around the farm. I have easily had way more fun scrounging up parts for the farm truck 360 than I have building this hard-core top tier race 360. Long story short, simple and cheap fun always wins....

Snapchat-2021908674.jpg

Snapchat-535900885.jpg

-
Back