Gratiot Auto Supply

-
They went out of business because they started to sell van parts and tried to sell their street rod kit car. They forgot what got them to where theywere in the first place.

Hey John. I used to drive up there and buy parts for my roadrunner in the early 70's. They had a real nice store, and they knew Mopars. But in the mid 70's they were replacing their performance parts with conversion van interiors and rainbow tape. That was the begining of the end. Bob

Hello Bob, how`s the 340 project coming along? Is she breathing yet? You and Don seemed to agree about the demise of Gratiot, selling van parts.......huh? Wow, hate to see places like that go. Kinda` like Coca-Cola changing their formula. Thanks guys.- John

I remember around 1977 they advertised a new Edelbrock Six Pack intake and three new Holley carburetors for the 340 engine for a clearance price of 175.00 dollars for the package! I ordered the set, and put it on my 69 Swinger which I unloaded several months later. I don't miss that Dart, but sure wish I had that six pack set up for my current project! Ben.

What ever happened to Gratiot Auto Supply? I used to buy a ton of gear from them. Anybody?

I used to buy from them in the early 60's when they were on Gratiot near Warren. About 20 years ago or so, I saw them on Woodward around 12 mile or so. They were into vans more than hot rods at that time. I ended up with most of my business going to Holleywood Auto parts in Detroit at Plymouth and Shaeffer, and Ramchargers in Livonia. Last time I was in Michigan, I see that they are gone too. I think Mancini is the lone survivor in the area.

I also used to buy from them , in the early 80's i do believe was the time ??? i do remember the guy behind the counter long hair VERY MONOTONE ..... remember that...

-
Back