gravity gun?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i'm looking at getting a new granity spray gun. never had one, my old siphon gun is 15-20 yrs old. want to use it for finish coat, urethane. any recommendations for an adequate and Affordable gun? need conventional gun, not hvlp..... thanks

want to get a gravity gun, conventional type, will spray urethane top coat. any recommendations for a good AND affordable gun.

it really depends on how much your going to use it. you looking to spray a lot or just shoot your car? dave.

I know you're gonna cringe when I say this......but I swear it's the truth. I've heard nothing but good things about the Harbor Freight guns. From professionals, too.

I know you're gonna cringe when I say this......but I swear it's the truth. I've heard nothing but good things about the Harbor Freight guns. From professionals, too.

I bought a cheap summit gun and it works great. ive also heard the HF guns are worthy of getting great results

I just shot some epoxy primer with a cheap Harbor Freight gun.Worked flawlessly. I hadn't shot anything in over 20 years and it worked great.

I have a HF HVLP (larger tip for primer and the original tip for paint)that I shoot primer with and bought a Warwick brand spray gun that atomized the paint better for me than the HF. I am just an amateur so i may could have adjusted the HF gun better to spray base/clear (HF gun shot decent with single stage and small tip)but this is what worked for me.

I talked with a member on here that does a lot of body work and he too said he had a HF gun that has had a lot of use (YEArs and many cars!), and works great.
of course, it helps to adjust it just right!? gravity guns can be bought pretty c heap. I have 4 cars of mine i'm working on. not an overnight get done thing!
I cleaned my old siphon gun but it needs more. I need to get a brush for it. it is 20-25 years old and been sittin 8-10 years for sure. it haed an air pressure control and small water trap at gun. they were full of dirt dauber dirt!!! LOL

ya, I too like the hf gun. they have two, well actually three now, different guns. the cheapest one, usually around 10 or so bucks is what call a throw away gun. use it once or twice and go get you another one. the other one is usually around 30 bucks and comes with a regulator. it's got what they call a tulip tip, and I swear with about 30-35psi at the gun, that thing shoots about as good as any binks or divilbiss I've had. just make sure you take it apart and clean it good before you use it. its packed with a lot of silicone spray. dave.

ah, the old days of siphon guns. lol. there's no telling how many gallons of paint I shot through my old binks no. 7. them things were almost indestructible.

I bought the purple hf gun for a throw away after shooting epoxy primer.it was on sale /half off coupon made it like 20.00 it sprayed so well with dp50 I spent 2 hrs cleaning it shot feather fill hi build primer on top 2 days latter with a light green scotch brute scuff 1st.that stuff laid down like glass.top coat and clear shot with hvlp turbin-air.don't be afraid to use hf gun on primer coats because of the cost being cheap,it makes me wonder how much profit the name brands make off the sale of one of there guns.iawata is now made in China and there price didn't drop from the Italian made ones of past

maybe the guns are like the old cheap D A sanders. didn't cost squat and lasted for ever with a little lube in them. I would like to get a turbine compressor to paint with, m compressor is old and needs re ring job it looks like. my traps have collected the oil and water so far but don't want ot trust it really.
on another note..... I read on here all the time of people getting shafted with taking their car to the bodyman....years back I had 4 guys that could do as good work AS anyone in America and for fair price. i'm amazed as to what some people are willing to spend on a car that won't be worth 10 cents on the dollar as far as what they pay the guy!!! and then getting screwed big time to boot.... I feel for them, really....
I rather do my work myself and it be called a ten footer than have some one see my car and it be perfect and assume I paid some dude $30,000 to do it??!!! just me.....

When picking a gun pay attention to the CFM requirements of the gun versus the CFM capacity of the air compressor you are going to use. If you buy a gun with high CFM requirements and have a low CFM compressor the gun will not atomize the paint and you will have a rough texture finish.

Use minimum 3/8" inner diameter air hose. Small inner diameter air hose will not work.

As for HF guns there have been many different models of purple guns over the years and the model numbers and design have changed. Google the part number of gun you are considering and try and find reviews.

I have a HF 90977 purple/chrome gun, works great, requires a low 6 CFM @ 40 psi, but its no longer offered. I also have a new 68843 chrome HF gun but the CFM requirements are minimum 12 CFM @ 40 psi which is just above the capacity of my compressor. So that gun sits in the box till I get a higher CFM compressor OR I just want to shoot a single panel. I also have a new DevilBiss Plus gun I bought from autobody101.com which has CFM requirements below my compressor output so that is the gun I plan to shoot clear with.

Disassemble and clean gun after every use with Lacquer Thinner. HF sells a brush kit. This will keep the gun working correctly.

Also, very important to get high flow air coupling fittings like Milton V High Flow from amazon.com. High flow fittings allow the CFM to get to the gun so it can atomize the paint correctly. As a benefit they also dramatically improve impact gun power. Your standard box store air couplings and fittings will choke off air flow.

Practice on junk body parts to learn.

Just trying to pass along some of the lessons I have learned the hard way.....

-
Back