Greasable LCA pivots

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
I am wondering how the greasable LCA pivots work. What is lubricated? The pivot shaft to bushing? If so, does it even use an inner shell, or is it pivot shaft directly to rubber?

I just saw these on PST website and was curious as to how they work. I just replaced mine with stock type Moog parts and I'm not taking them out! Just wondering how the greasable work and if anyone likes them.

Hey Chris. I believe the greasable shaft are for use with poly LCA bushings. The poly bushings work slightly differently as I understand it. Poly bushings 'slide' on the inner shaft, whereas the rubber bushings rotate but go back to the same static position at ride height because the rubber is attached to both the inner and outer shells. The poly bushings aren't attached to the shells. Which leads to my question- How can you grease the shaft/poly bushing surface if the shaft has the stock inner shell still installed (I believe the stock inner shell is used with poly bushings? Where does the grease come out?

Yeah, seems confusing. With the poly bushing there would be no retention of the pivot lug in this set up. Save for maybe the torsion bar, and/or the strut rod pulling toward the front of the car. Weird. I hope someone who understands will enlighten us.

The poly bushings use the outer shell from the old rubber bushing that was removed, and that is correct that the greasable pins are for use with the poly bushings only.
The grease goes down through the center of the pin and comes out in approx the center of the pin to lube the pin to bushing contact point.

Nothing retains the lower bushing to the control arm besides the T bar being clipped into the sockets and the strut rod.

The only real concern I have seen with the greasble pins is I saw a brand new one snapped off at the K member.
We assumed it was because of being drilled and possibly the type of driving the car was used for (like autocross)

The poly bushing I used in my 66 used the inner shell as well. Maybe there several different versions of poly bushings???

The poly bushing I used in my 66 used the inner shell as well. Maybe there several different versions of poly bushings???
The PST red polys I used said to remove it, but since the bushing fit nice and solid with it in there I left it.

If you buy the greasable shafts from us. They are different than the standard OE type that we sell. We supply a kit that includes the greasable pivot shafts, polygraphite bushings and new outer shells. The greasable pivot shafts that we sell are actually larger in diameter at the base ( or the section that goes into the arm ) so the user does not need to use an inner shell. Unlike when using a non greasable pivot shaft with polygraphite bushings where you have to re use the inner and outer shells.

Thanks
James

If you buy the greasable shafts from us. They are different than the standard OE type that we sell. We supply a kit that includes the greasable pivot shafts, polygraphite bushings and new outer shells. The greasable pivot shafts that we sell are actually larger in diameter at the base ( or the section that goes into the arm ) so the user does not need to use an inner shell. Unlike when using a non greasable pivot shaft with polygraphite bushings where you have to re use the inner and outer shells.

Thanks
James

Thanks James.

-
Back