Green Bearings on OE A Body Small Bolt axles with Stock 10" x 1.75" Brakes

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Do the green bearings work in the 10" X 1.75" Brake drum application with the small bolt pattern? I apologize if this is a silly question.
I am putting together a SBP 8.75" axle and trying to get all my parts sorted out.

All of my other stuff still has the OE Tapered roller adjustable bearings except for a rear disc swap.

Thank you sages!

really the only thing different between BPP and SBP is the backing plate, drum, shoes and the bolt spacing on the axel

Yes some say that you havecto remove the center button (if so equiped) in the diff but it should not be necessary to remove it. As long as you can fully seat the axles without using the retainer nuts you're good.

Contact Cass at dr. Diff to know for sure

Yes I had them on my 67 Dart drag car. Stock small bolt axles and 1 3/4'' drums.

Yep. I did it for my 66 Valiant but I did have to get the center button out to seat the axles properly.

Yes, The center button needs to go. I know about that.

Thanks guys!

I don't have the buttons out of either one of mine. I thought that the new green bearings with a snap ring took care of that.

I swapped to green bearings on the Demon, originally SBP but I did it because I installed a spool. I later swapped to a SG center and new Dr Diff axle shafts with BBP and green bearings also. I haven't changed anything.

The old style GB needs the button out but the new style GB does not need the button out .

they work just fine - stock small bolt axels - does away with adjuster on rr axel - on the 8 3/4 's - the 489 case there is no button between the axels - I'm sure at least one if not both of the other housings - 741 or 742 has the button. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

on the 8 3/4 's - the 489 case there is no button between the axels - I'm sure at least one if not both of the other housings - 741 or 742 has the button. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken
Because the two axles have to push on each other to have the proper bearing preload there has to be a button or a part of the spider gear shaft that fills that space between axles.
My 742 housing has a clutch type sure grip and it has one.

I'm 99.99% sure it is not housing specific.

It might be that sure grip have the button and open use the spider gear shaft not sure

-
Back