Greetings from another new guy

-

STGCMAC

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have also been lurking in the shadows while I was searching for the perfect old Mopar to pick up for "therapeutic purposes". Long story short, I started out soem 30 years ago with a big block A body, went through a pair of B bodys, went to the dark side and did Fords, and now, after about 25 years, things are finally right to get another "hobby car". I was looking Mopar again, and man have the values gone up. I kick myself for dumping the ones I had.
In any case, I have a line on a 63 Valiant convertible in the area and am going to take a look at it. I am familiar with the quirks and trouble spots on a lot of older cars, but not Valiants. i am good on dealing with the electrical and mechanical side, but not on body/frame/rust issues. I am looking for a fun car, not a trophy winner (at least at first), and am not looking to sink a mint into fixing it up. With this in mind, what areas should I be wary of when checking this out? I appreciate any input I can get.

Welcome to the board. I would check the floor boards, lower quarters,lower doors, lower fenders, around the windows, frame rails, and the trunk floor which imo the trunk floor is pretty common. I'm sure some of the other members will chime in and let you know the things I missed.

Aj408,
Thanks for the input. It sounds like they have many of the same trouble spots as old "stangs". Do you know if A-Body convertibles tend to sway belly over time? Also, is there a real difference to be had by upgrading to a disc brake setup in the front?
Thanks again

Don't really know about the "bellying" on the 'vert' A-bodies, might want to post that question in the "convertible forum". About up-grading to disc brakes, hell yeah!~

Thanks smlveightis, I didn't notice the vert forum. If this goes well, I'm thinking brakes will be pretty close to the top of the list. By the way, love your quote, pretty sad aint it...

Welcome! Hope the convertible turns out to be solid. I would add, inspect the cowl area for rust.

Welcome to FABO STGCMAC!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Like to see some pictures of that Valiant - We love pictures!

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• Picture73.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 70
This is all I've got so far, trying to get by in person this weekend. This looks like it could go either way. It appears to have a red and white interior, not sure how that goes with the exterior color...

Attachments

• Valiant vert.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 70
This is all I've got so far, trying to get by in person this weekend. This looks like it could go either way. It appears to have a red and white interior, not sure how that goes with the exterior color...

Keep us updated

Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

-
Back