Gremlin Somwhere?

-

321Scamp

Reaction score
Alright, I have been fighting this for three days. The timing is set at about 7 BTDC, all plugs seem to be burning alright, and after using a inline spark tester, all wires are firing. It is weird that one day it ran fine and the next day it started off bad. When the symptoms started the #6 cylinder plug was wet, but I have since replaced it and is burning fine. Here is what it is doing... It idles with a hit and miss type feel, like the timing is way off. When holding an RPM, it pulsates and shakes. Under hard acceleration, it acts if you are pulling a trailer running on 7 cylinders. I am running the new E3 spark plugs, so next I am going to get new Champions, and see if the E3's are not compatible. I think that it is something in the distributor, any thoughts would be very helpful. :dontknow:

have u done anything to the engine. try setting the timing to 35 at 2800 rpm then back the idle screw back down to like 1000 rpm at ilde and see how it does

It was a 318 2bbl and now it is bore out to 321 and has an Eddy 600 4bbl. I believe it has a little bit hotter cam in it. Thats the only difference.

are your 5 and 7 wires crossed? are they good wires? points? electronic ignition? all gapped at .035?

I second the 5 and 7 wire, dont ask me why but everytime i take'm off i cross em
dont know why just call me lucky

It is electronic ignition. The E3's don't need to be gaped. The wires are good, I checked them this morning. The wires are not crossed, it ran fine for about 200 miles after installing the E3's, then just up and started running like crap.

i'd check timing at idle and 2800 rpm with the vac advance plugged. it sounds like ignition, what kind of coil? i hope not an accel. if so, deposit it in the trash. buy the msd blaster 2 if you go to replace it.

It is an Accel S/S coil.
Today I replaced all my plugs with the Champion RN14YCs that I had been running but gapped them to .040. It runs and idles just like it should again. Time will tell if this was the fix or not. I have had somewhat similar problems after awhile before with the Champions. We think maybe the problem could have been fuel related. I ran it really low, and put in a splash of gas so I could make it to town out of a tank we use to fill our farm truck with. That tank as been know to get water in the fuel when the tank gets low. And it was low when I got some out of it. So maybe water in the gas did something to the plugs. Hopefully that was the case, but I will keep y'all updated if anything changes.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips. :headbang:

-
Back