grill restoration

-

mrhinsjc

Reaction score
At the Spring Fling in Van Nuys, CA there used to be a vendor that specialized in restoring grills. I think they are in the LA area. Does anyone recall the name of the company?

I don’t know of a company that specializes in grills, but kingoftrim in Pacoima could probably handle the job. They do all trim, including dash panels. If you’re in the Van Nuys area then Pacoima’s a stones throw away. Their web site is worth a look.

kingoftrim.com

Enjoying It Again here. Do you have a forum already on how to do a restoration or who to contact to find out how? Much Appreciated.

For plastic grills, make a paste using bits of abs and acetone.Bevel all cracks or repair sections and apply evenly.For large gaps additional application may be required to build the area up.Allow 5 or 6 days to cure.
The repair can then be easily sanded and shaped.Now it's just a matter of masking sections off and finding matching paint. I believe Mopar Muscle Wheel paint is the match for most satin argent grills.
If you are doing a Sharktooth grill be warned masking and painting the fins can be an 8 hour ordeal and is very tedious!

Thank you for the information. A couple points not mentioned in the How To Article read last late last night.

check out the HOW TO ARTICLES (at the top of the page) as there is a write up there.
I looked in the how to articles I can't find it. All I seen was the shark tooth grille fix and the barracuda trim painting. I want to paint my dart grille the right way I want the front to be argent and the inside black like its supposed to be how would one paint that? Would you have to tape off every single fin?

At the Spring Fling in Van Nuys, CA there used to be a vendor that specialized in restoring grills. I think they are in the LA area. Does anyone recall the name of the company?
As post#3 said "King of Trim" I have them do multiple items from grille repair and restoration to dash bezel, heater control panel & glove box door for my 1972 Plymouth Scamp. They are great!

As post#3 said "King of Trim" I have them do multiple items from grille repair and restoration to dash bezel, heater control panel & glove box door for my 1972 Plymouth Scamp. They are great!
I'm doing it myself. Not paying someone.
read post #5
I dont see anything in post five that helps answer my question. I know it has To be masked but where and how what is the procedure? Does the black go first or the silver etc?

I looked in the how to articles I can't find it. All I seen was the shark tooth grille fix and the barracuda trim painting. I want to paint my dart grille the right way I want the front to be argent and the inside black like its supposed to be how would one paint that? Would you have to tape off every single fin?
Under the “HOW TO ARTICLES” then go to Exterior & Body Work then the 5th from the bottom is about repairing a shark tooth grill. Tape every piece and yes a lot of work. Pick the colour that is the most difficult to spray or has the least most of tape. Just go for it.

This stuff

01-00542.jpg

-
Back