Grill work

-

norshorblufish

By the Big Water
Reaction score
Gotch ya!
Bet you thought this was about burgers sizzling away.

Pulled the grill out of my 68 Barracuda. As some of you well know the studs that holding the chrome or aluminum as it may be to the body header panel.
broke loose and spin while trying to take the nuts off. OK the studs I can
figure out what to replace them with.
It's the rivets that the brackets are attached with. I could use good old pop rivets. I was wondering if you can find something like the originals. Maybe it doesn't really matter.
I'm thinking some of you have had to replace them also. Or maybe let me know what you used.

Here's a few pic of what I'm talking about.

Thanks ahead of time

norshor

View attachment IMAG0252 (640x480).jpg

View attachment IMAG0253 (640x530).jpg

View attachment IMAG0251 (640x480).jpg

The problem you're going to run into, especially if you take EVERYTHING apart, is that the heads on replacement bolts you can readily find at the hardware store aren't going to fit in between the rolled double lip on the inside of the aluminum trim. Regular rivets will work for the rest of the bracketry.

I found some suitable low profile flat top studs and 6-32 nuts at Fastenal. They were indeed pricey but they worked great for HemiJim's front grille assembly. I bought a few extras for later resto projects just because the place is a 30 mile drive. I'm sorry I didn't get any close ups of the replacement hardware I used but the above links should help.

Attachments

• 016 - Copy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 020 - Copy.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 023 - Copy.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 131
I was wondering about the bolt heads being too thick.

Thanks Leanna for the info.

I appreciate it.

Tom

PS : You sure do beautiful work.

Always happy to help if I can Tom! :-D

P.S. Thanks for the compliments. It's my understanding Jim's putting it all back together this weekend. I can't wait to see it back on his car.

-
Back