Grill work

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Would like to repaint the grill on my 70 Duster. It is now the textured argent. What would be a good way to get it smooth enough to repaint with textured paint so it is all consistent. Looking at some threads, Scotch brite? Or would that scratch the plastic? I believe it is all plastic so am hesitant to use any chemicals.

Thanks

One option is to media blast it standing quite a distance away on a lower pressure. Option two is using various grits of sand paper and putting in a lot of time and hand cramps. Your choice.

Just trying to smooth it out. I would then spray textured paint on it. There are now some chips in the paint. Want it to look consistant. If it wasn't for the chips, which are smooth spots the size of dimes I could just put a non textured coat on it.

A few thoughts, it painted and you would like t o repaint it. It is a type of plastic so your are correct to be leary of using chemicals. You are concerned about scratching it so not certain about sanding. If you don't sand it (scratch it) the paint wont stick! Sand the thing using progressively finer sandpaper and paint it, you'll be just fine!

Was thinking of sandpaper, just wondered if anyone else had tried something that worked better.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, this weekends project!

Your ok using sand paper, would try a 1000 grit wet sand paper and wet sand. Wet sanding is cleaner plus it provides lubrication to the sand paper making it easier to sand, and easier to remove the sanding residue, plus your not breathing it in, also keep in mind to start out with a fine grit sand paper like 1500 or 1000 grit, if you use an aggressive grit sand paper you may remove too much paint or even possibly remove the plastic in areas, also using a aggressive grit sand paper makes it harder to finish because you will have to move up two times sanding each with a smoother grit sand paper to remove deep sanding scratches. Also with a finer grit paper it may take you a bit longer but you will have more control on how much material you remove

-
Back