Grille question

-

EDMOPAR

Reaction score
Hi, have a 76 duster, was wandering if anyone knows if a grille from a 73 will fit in a 76, without modifications, and if it will does anyone have a good one for sale, thanks, Edward

I have done this before and to make it work right, you need the valance (that goes between grille and bumper) from a '73/4. The 76 piece had something different about it. Headlight bezels were different to if I can recall.

I believe the absorber type bumper mounts started in late 74. The earlier bumpers are in closer. The valence parts fill that extra space on 75-76. I think the metal is different and they added a plastic piece. I know a lot of guys like to bring the bumpers in anyway. DK, did you get rid of the shock mounts? Not sure what else changed.

Both DusterKrazy and zkx14 are correct. The 75-76 grille, filler panel, and headlight bezels are different.
The metal filler panel has holes where the plastic filler screws into it because of the bumper shocks and also has extra metal to account for the recessed turn signals, and because the signals are recessed, the headlight bezels are longer ( deeper ) on the grille side.
The other thing to consider if you are going to convert and remove the plastic bumper filler piece is that you'll need to drill out the bumper shock mounts and collapse them and you'll need the little "end" pieces that go on the front fender just to the sides of the 73-74 lower bumper filler....goofy little things that get lost really easy. Not a straight up of a swap as you might think just to swap a grille

Thanks, I think I will keep the 76 grille, its not in bad shape, just like the 73. I plan on keeping the bumper shock mounts to, seems like a lot more weight than the 73 but its going to be a cruiser, thanks again for the info

I believe the absorber type bumper mounts started in late 74. The earlier bumpers are in closer. The valence parts fill that extra space on 75-76. I think the metal is different and they added a plastic piece. I know a lot of guys like to bring the bumpers in anyway. DK, did you get rid of the shock mounts? Not sure what else changed.

Yes, I sure did. I drilled holes in those shock bumper mounts and let the oil drain out. I removed the plastic piece and pushed the bumper flush with the valance. It looked way better.

Yes, I sure did. I drilled holes in those shock bumper mounts and let the oil drain out. I removed the plastic piece and pushed the bumper flush with the valance. It looked way better.

didn't realize they were oil filled. Did you have to do anything to secure them (so the bumper can't work its way back out)? I'm figuring on keeping everything original but was curious. Also is there any issue with state inspections because of the absorbers being a safety thing?

didn't realize they were oil filled. Did you have to do anything to secure them (so the bumper can't work its way back out)? I'm figuring on keeping everything original but was curious. Also is there any issue with state inspections because of the absorbers being a safety thing?

In north Carolina, no inspection is required if the vehicle is 35 years old or older. Just use a bolt in the drilled hole and place a spot weld in...good to go.

-
Back