grille repair epoxy

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the Best Epoxy/glue/ super glue etc. for a plastic grille crack repair? I picked up a 72 grille for my Demon project and its going to need some repair. I need to repair a couple cracks, a broken mounting tab and I also have a quarter size piece of plastic missing from one of the edges

I just started redoing my 69 cuda grilles.Although I think 3M makes great stuff, you have to buy their gun as well. The gun alone runs approx. $70-80 bucks. Devcon is good too, but I went with JB Weld Plastic Bonder, It was close and costs me $8. I filled the cracks, but haven't started to sand it yet. Altho it doesn't say it on the pkg or website, but I called JB tech line and they said it is paintable as well.

I figured JB weld may work. Do you need specific epoxy for the type of plastic?? im not sure what the grille is made out of, but im assuming you need something that bonds to whatever type it is.

As far as I can tell the 72 Demon grille is made of ABS plastic. I tried Plast-aid on the recommendation from some one else on FABO. Plast-aid will cure underwater, but IMO J-B Weld sticks almost as well and is easier to work with. Paint sticks to it. I used a self-etching primer to be sure it did.

I repaired my Demon grill I had to replace some pieces I glued them in with supper glue and filled the cracks with a epoxy filler made b 3M for plastic bumpers . I also replaced mounting tab used 30 min epoxy with some fiber glasses cloth . Finish off the repair using silver and black paint you use for Rally Wheels Waco Demon

I figured JB weld may work. Do you need specific epoxy for the type of plastic?? im not sure what the grille is made out of, but im assuming you need something that bonds to whatever type it is.

Here is the link, but like I said I have only applied it, I haven't tried to sand or paint it yet.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plastic-bonder/

Here is another link I started a while back about69 cuda grill resto questions. Some info in there that might help you out.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=210558&highlight=grill

-
Back