Grinding Welds?

-

Tnplumber

Reaction score
I just finished welding in my first quarter panel patch, what do you use to grind down the welds? Not sure what i should use.

Several options depending on what you have. Do you have something like a 40 grit disc on a die grinder?

Oh yeah, good plan! I think I saw someone... maybe Kevin Tetz? Using a flapper disc.

Work the grinder back and forth like laying on a coat of paint.
This will take a little at a time off and minimize the heat build up.

I use a hard Norzon disc on a 4-1/2 grinder to knock off the top and high spots then a 60 or 80 grit flapper disc on my 4-1/2" grinder to bring it down smooth. Note that everyone has said to not get the metal hot by keeping the disc moving and that is, by far, the most important part of smoothing your welds.

I go at it in a couple of steps. I use a grinding stone (about 2" dia) in a die grinder to start and use this to knock down the spot welds to pretty close to flush. Then I use a 80/125 disk on a sander to finish them off. I have also heard of using 2 cutting disks stacked on a die grinder to knock them down. L8r

sometimes i will use a more aggressive flap disc like a 36 or a 60 to get it close and then switch to a 120 or 220 flap to smooth it out. i failed to mention the finish grit in my last post LOL. everyone has different methods but this is what works for me.

Yes, be careful, I practiced doing this for the first time, and it's really easy to gouge the surrounding sheetmetal, as it's thinner and weaker than the weld.

i use a 60 or 80 grit flapper disc on my grinder and dont sit on one spot very long

and you will be there for a year with 80 grit...

Work the grinder back and forth like laying on a coat of paint.
This will take a little at a time off and minimize the heat build up.

as said but use the green disc (36 grit) on a angle grinder or if you are very careful you can use a grinder with a grinding disc and just take off the bulk of it, then come back and use the green disc to level it...

as said move around alot and dont be afraid to use water to cool an area... you can always use metal wash or a wire wheel to get any surface rust...

Ended up using a 60 grit flapper disc on my angle grinder, it was a little slow but the metal never got to hot.

Did you flange one side or did you butt weld it? Did you use a mig? If so, what gauge wire?

Do you have a picture?

Thanks

-
Back