Grindng your own heads.

-

sonier

Reaction score
Well i have a pair of 1989 dodge 318 heads, i read that i can grind these my own with a dremel, for better performance. I am EXTREMELY mechanicly inclined so if its possible most likely i can prolly do it. so i would like to know if anyone has done this and can explain.
my other option is selling these heads.
so any help would be nice:)

yea u can port ur own heads but with out lots of time and experiance u can kill the heads in seconds. things to be careful of are the valve seats and guides. if ur gonna have new guides put in do it but don't have them ground to the valve, this way u can grind back the bowl and valve guide to make a very smooth transition. also don't grind on the short side or the bottom of the runner, its alright to just clean it up so its smooth but dn't hog it out. best thing to do is to gasket match the heads to the gaskets and the manifolds to the gaskets that will give u better flow and a farily easy task. buy two sets of intake and exhaust gaskets and spray machinist bluing over one set so just the gasket shadow is on the heads. then port the heads to match!

oh also u are probably better off using an air powered grinder with porting bits.

oh also u are probably better off using an air powered grinder with porting bits.

To each his own but I prefer my Makita electric die grinder. It's heavier than an air powered die grinder but it also don't have the awkward air hose to drag around. The extra weight seems to stabilize it also I think. Takes alot less power to operate also. I do like the air die grinder for finishing though as I can vary it's speed better.

Like my electric,although I haven't tried it on ports yet.

Now i got lots more reading to do i like those links, thankyou:)

-
Back