Groaning hood springs

-

unreal1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to stop the hood springs on my 3 Dart from groaning every time I open or close the hood? I tried penetrating oil, but it seemed to actually make it worse!

I don’t think you want to use anything that holds grit or grime. I cleaned mine and sprayed them with dry graphite film.

upload_2018-5-8_14-49-59.png

Dart shop manual......

I spray mine with motorcycle chain wax... it’s not sticky and I always have a can on the self, it’s best to do it when the fenders are off so you can get it into the spring

A paint stir stick and wheel bearing grease works.
You can also get to them by removing the splash shield behind the tires.

All are great ideas. I am use to working in an industrial environment with high temperatures and pressure and we use anti seize all the time. I am guilty of over using it sometimes on automobiles as well. It holds on well and will last a long time. I also use synthetic green grease. But that's my two cents worth
Lee

Two of my indelible memories of old Mopars are:
1. The sound of the classic Chrysler starter.
2. The groaning of the hood when it is lifted.

I resisted changing #1 because of the sound but I DID go with a mini starter because it's an improvement in all ways except originality.
#2 doesn't bother me enough to change it but now I'm wondering what it is that actually makes that lion roar.

-
Back