Ground question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing an Innovate wideband O2 gauge. The instructions say to run a ground wire all the way back to the battery. I know this is a stupid question, but what would happen if I grounded the wire to the dash like the light grounds in my aftermarket water temp and oil pressure gauges? Is the dash not a good ground?

I'm in the process of installing an Innovate wideband O2 gauge. The instructions say to run a ground wire all the way back to the battery. I know this is a stupid question, but what would happen if I grounded the wire to the dash like the light grounds in my aftermarket water temp and oil pressure gauges? Is the dash not a good ground?

You might get "lucky" but those are a VERY SENSITIVE circuit. You have to realize that ALL automotive components are not longer high current "junk" that worked "any old way" as they did in the sixties. Back then we HAD no sensitive electronics.

If your battery is in the trunk what you are looking for is a SINGLE POINT GROUND

If the battery has a separate ground from the battery up to the engine block and is NOT grounded at the rear trunk, I would ground it at the engine block.

If the battery is grounded at the rear trunk, and the engine bonded to the body, I would run the innovate ground clear to the battery

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The battery is in the stock position. It is grounded to the engine block as well as the core support.

You might get "lucky" but those are a VERY SENSITIVE circuit. You have to realize that ALL automotive components are not longer high current "junk" that worked "any old way" as they did in the sixties. Back then we HAD no sensitive electronics.

If your battery is in the trunk what you are looking for is a SINGLE POINT GROUND

If the battery has a separate ground from the battery up to the engine block and is NOT grounded at the rear trunk, I would ground it at the engine block.

If the battery is grounded at the rear trunk, and the engine bonded to the body, I would run the innovate ground clear to the battery

Thanks for the input. I mis-spoke or I guess mis-"typed." I said "back" to the battery because I was thinking along electricity flow line.

But, that's exactly why I was asking. I know these wide bands are kind of a different deal sensitivity-wise. Would grounding it at the dash screw it up?

The problem is possible interference, and why they say to ground at the battery.
It won't damage the gauge in any way, but it might not be accurate as it could be.
Mine isn't grounded at the battery either, but on the dash frame and no problems with it.

I have a common ground point behind the dash...
Has the Tach, Shift Light, Oil Pressure, and Coolant Temp on it.
Installed my AFR and used that same ground point. Bad Idea...
AFR jumped all over the place all the time. Completely erratic.
I 'Bench' tested the AFR with the O2 sensor sitting on the top of the inner fender and a rag of gas fumes. Worked fine...
Put it back in and needle was all over the place.
Finally pulled my head outta my A$$ :BangHead:and installed the power from the ACC power relay set, (I used the one RRR or Cracked, can't remember for sure, suggested from the VW bug.
Anyway, ran the power and ground for the AFR to that and no more Bouncing Betty AFR...

I installed the same sensor and ran the ground back to the battery. I ran almost all my grounds back to a ground bar next to the battery that has a custom cable tied to the battery and ground bar.

The problem is possible interference, and why they say to ground at the battery.
It won't damage the gauge in any way, but it might not be accurate as it could be.
Mine isn't grounded at the battery either, but on the dash frame and no problems with it.
I already hit the 'Agree' button,,,Can I hit it again, again, again, and again?

I have spent time grounding several places on the car,no problems with ground at dash. I did put a relay on the wide band though.

Have either of you had any issues with your O2 wideband with those grounds?

I would have posted a warning in my post if it did... No issues. Maybe I should ground it another place since the bandwagon is trying to make me uncomfortable about my position.

I'll put it on my list with the other 1,000 things to do 'while I'm at it.'

I did put a relay on the wide band though.

That's dedication.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. The instructions mentioned using a dedicated circuit or a relay as well for the power feed. Seems like overkill for a gauge that only draws 3 amps and uses 20awg wire. I guess there's a reason though.

The instructions mentioned using a dedicated circuit or a relay as well for the power feed. Seems like overkill for a gauge that only draws 3 amps and uses 20awg wire. I guess there's a reason though.
that's what I thought but the instructions had it for a reason without a dedicated circuit

-
Back