Grrrrr!!! Stupid Trans Pan

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So I have noticed this smell in the garage the past week or so... I just thought it was the snow blower which has a tiny gas leak. So I paid no more attention to it.

Well today I go out and start fiddling with the car. I have to drop the trans to replace a torque converter and noticed trans fluid all over the cardboard that I had under it to catch drips. Well the stupid TCI chrome trans pan with the drain plug in it started leaking at some point. Just before I put the car away for the winter I notice a small drip from that drain plug. I tightened it up and it was fine up until now...

Needless to say that pan is getting tossed in the trash and Im going to something different. I would have hated for that plug to come out or what not as I was driving down the road...

Anyone else every have problems with this style of pan?

NO!
I check drain plugs when I assemble new parts.:bootysha::D

Seriously though, I always use a little silicone on drain plug threads since I hate leaks so much.
It's worth it to me to have to clean it up and redo it when I take the plug out.

Now the pan itself is a different story, as it's not that easy to get one to seal and NEVER drip or get damp with fluid.
And the pockets in the trans surface where the gasket contacts make it a pain also.

I know most people(and most shops) wont use anything but cork on the older style transmissions, but I hate em cause the always get soaked or end up getting crushed from tightening up because it started to get wet again.
Same with cork valve cover gaskets (I can't stand em) on my own car.

I always use the black composite rubber/fiber gaskets with a film of RTV on both sides and they NEVER EVER leak.

Anyway, the point is that aftermarket pans are sometimes thinner steel and it makes them even harder to seal.

What is weird is it made it all the way thru summer with out dripping it wasnt until this winter that it let go. So Im guessing that stupid little white gasket cracked.

I had another pan on a different vehicle that did the same thing.. I could never get that drain plug to seal. I like having the drain but not worth this mess!

What is weird is it made it all the way thru summer with out dripping it wasnt until this winter that it let go. So Im guessing that stupid little white gasket cracked.

I had another pan on a different vehicle that did the same thing.. I could never get that drain plug to seal. I like having the drain but not worth this mess!

Yea, I won't use the nylon (white) gaskets either,
only copper or aluminum.

Even then I use a little RTV and wipe off any that squeezed out while it's still wet.

Autozone has copper.aluminum, and metal/rubber embossed.
This is just a thought, after a long sleep check to see if it is dry around the dipstick tube and also the shifter shaft seal.When the converter drains back during sitting these seals flood and will start to seep. My dang dart and truck are fine till they sit for a spell then the whole pan is wet. Just cleaned up under my truck this morning.

I will check out all those places mentioned. Im sure someone will have them..

I know its from the drain plug, the trans has about 500 miles on it and its completely dry everywhere except on the bottom of the pan and it looks like most of the leak started from the plug area. I appreciate your thoughts and input.

I will check out all those places mentioned. Im sure someone will have them..

I know its from the drain plug, the trans has about 500 miles on it and its completely dry everywhere except on the bottom of the pan and it looks like most of the leak started from the plug area. I appreciate your thoughts and input.

My Ace hardware has them in the little boxes on a wall unit, but at the very least Napa would have them.
Go for copper if you can get it.

Motormite 65290. (aluminum drain plug assortment). Any O'Reillys/Autozone should have it. (Comes with 1/2" aluminum i.d. gasket). IIRC,that's what my aluminum pan runs.
Motormite 65271'is copper.

Ohhh should had clarified... Mine is a stamped steel pan... Not sure if that makes a difference on what we are talking about.

You did. As far as I know, most use the Ford 1/2 " fine thread oil plug.

-
Back