Guage Questions

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
Well i just thought id start myself a thread i dont like posting in others topics...dont like hi-jacking threads :p

Well first off thinks John (fastback340) for throwing up pics of your dash and influencing me and giving me something to do, rather then sit here and be all upset i cant work on cuda :)

so i pulled the cuda's dash today and well a pin wouldn't come loose...this was off the revolver type connection. Well as i pulled a lil more going "dont you dare snap off" and bam it did :( So now im i was ahead one step then took 2 right on back go figure :(

Here is the pic, it was huge so i figured id let you guys click it

could i soder it back on? or how can i fix this, i believe it was the purple wire that it was connected to(have to check which wire that is for) any sugestions.

also got any tips for fixing my guages...oil and temp dont work? The wires to the guages are all there, and together(tested with ohms meter). How do i install white faces. Sugestions on sanding? how about painting and cleaning the lenses? how can i make a corner piece where it was broken(near glove box) could i use some filler to make something then sand it smooth?

Thanks guys :thumbup:

The only way I think it could be repaired is to stick something (the same dia) into the pin so it's tight. Leave a small tab sticking out the bottom of the pin about 1/16 or so that will then lightly push into the hole on your cluster. Put down some electrical tape around the pin area if possible.....and lightly solder the pin to secure it in place. Try not to have a very large lump of solder built up as it may interfer with the connecter and other pins. (you might get lucky). However, it sounds like you have a few more electrical problems. Your temp runs throught the voltage regulator...if you know you have voltage getting to your cluster ok, and your fuel guage is working ok, then it could be your wire run from your thermostat to the cluster. A quick way to troubleshoot this while your cluster is already out anyways, is to use a long jumper wire from your engine compartment to the inside of your car. Join the end of the wire to the lead of the thermostat wire and run the other end inside your car. Now join the (-) probe of your meter to that jumper wire end. With your meter (in resistance)..and with the (+) probe...go to the "plastic connector" you pulled off the cluster and probe each slot where a pin would go watching your meter. If you get a (+) reading on a pin, thats the thermostat wire run and your wire to the cluster is fine. If not, you must work back to find the problem, for say in the (bulkhead) connecter area. Your pressure light works the same way, however it dos'nt require the voltage regulator and just uses the 12V supply from your cluster before the regulator. Like I said...you can troubleshoot the oil run wire the same way by taking the lead of the oil pressure guage "engine" compartment, then probe the connecter to ensure your oil run is fine. If both runs are fine and you get continuity from both, you may have more cluster problems (broken pins, cracks in the runs). Now if you suspect your clusters the problem....Just do a continuity board check one pin at a time moving about the board making sure those little line are OK. (there easy to follow) just watch your meter to ensure your getting continuity. Lastly...I don't know have you can repair the corner of your broken cluster, maybe a little fiberglass and sanding. In any case you can clean the plastic/glass with a dab of toothpaste and a soft cloth. Re-paint your guage needles with Highglow red or something to wake the up.
Up front..Good luck, but depending on your cluster problems you may be better off finding another and swap the nicest parts.................. :blah5:

-
Back