guitar players

-
Bla Bla Bla!!!!:bootysha:
No, just 30+ years of experience not only playing but seeing just about everyone there is to see and realizing that metal guitarists are probably the single most over-rated group of musicians on earth. Sure, lots of speed, but with most of them, very little versatility or creativity. Basic blues scales and chord patterns. It gets old pretty fast.

Randy Rhoads was the reason I originally picked up a guitar, but I'm in awe of guys like Al DiMeola.

On that note (no pun intended) a student of Segovia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPpW-_ixWEk
I liked Randy too. He never got the regognition he deserved while he was alive. I was in the 5th row at Ozzy's first solo show in the U.S. right in front of Randy. That tiny little guy was great. Parkening is amazing. Willaim Kanengiser is pretty amazing too.

Believe it or not... the best version of Smoke on the Water I ever saw was in 1983. Ian Gillan was singing for Black Sabbath and they did that song as their encore. The whole place went silent for a few minutes while they tried to figure out what song Tony was playing, once they got it the place went nuts.

Awesome stuff. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD_nKASvCtk
I always liked Tony. He pretty much invented heavy guitar. No flash, just a great sound and style. I do prefer Sabbath with Ozzy though. Ian needs to stay in Deep Purple. Too bad Ritchie is off on a tangent.

No, just 30+ years of experience not only playing but seeing just about everyone there is to see and realizing that metal guitarists are probably the single most over-rated group of musicians on earth. Sure, lots of speed, but with most of them, very little versatility or creativity. Basic blues scales and chord patterns. It gets old pretty fast.

I know. I was just giving you a hard time.

No problem my friend.

I do like classical guitar. I took a class at Long Beach City College. It was a lot of fun but very hard. I even learned to read sheet music in that class. I have not keep up on it though and forgot most of it.

You , Ace was never a particularly skilled or creative player but I still like his style. Maybe it is because I liked Kiss when I was a larva.

I beg to differ 2shelbys, I think he was very skilled and creative for his time, but he didn't keep growing. I could be a little biased just because KISS was my favorite band growing up.

I beg to differ 2shelbys, I think he was very skilled and creative for his time, but he didn't keep growing. I could be a little biased just because KISS was my favorite band growing up.
I think that is a little bias showing through. When you look at the other guys who were around at the time, Steve Howe, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, Steve Morse, Frank Marino, etc, you really can not say he was "very skilled and creative for his time". I could play just about everything Kiss had done after I had only been playing for a couple of years. I am still working on some of Steve Howe's stuff.

I do like classical guitar. I took a class at Long Beach City College. It was a lot of fun but very hard. I even learned to read sheet music in that class. I have not keep up on it though and forgot most of it.
I wanted so bad to be able to play Steve Howe's travis-picked acoustic and classical stuff that I quit playing in bands and started studying classical guitar at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore. I traded playing crap I didn't like in small, hot, smoke-filled rooms for playing the stuff I really liked alone in my house. I am glad I did. No drug problems, no STDs, no arrests. Just A TON of speeding tickets.

For some reason my reply to the Yngwie video just would not post correctly so here it is:

Great player. One of the few metal guys with a good command of the instrument that goes beyond basic blues stuff. Just don't waste your time going to see him live. He is one of those guys who doesn't realize that there really is such a thing as TOO LOUD. Every time I saw him it sounded like crap which was a shame because he was playing his *** off.

the funny thing to me is. where are they now. i kinda feel like Gilmour, Lifeson and Hammett may be the only one's who are still relevant. still making new music and selling albums. the older music is still good, and i rock out all day, every day, but keeping it going musically is where it is at to me. of course it is hard to say where Rhodes would be today, but, "one slip, and down the hole you fall"

-
Back