Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Well sadly it is time for year end inventory! Arghh! It sucks! Found a whole batch of my secret recipe 45-70 for long range matches in my Creedmoor. For those not familiar I put a 12ga and a 45acp beside one cartridge down on left corner for size perspective. Packs a wallop. I hate it when I just load em and dump in an ammo box with out counting. I swear I won’t ever do it again about this time every year! But alas!

IMG_4291.jpeg

Well sadly it is time for year end inventory! Arghh! It sucks! Found a whole batch of my secret recipe 45-70 for long range matches in my Creedmoor. For those not familiar I put a 12ga and a 45acp beside one cartridge down on left corner for size perspective. Packs a wallop. I hate it when I just load em and dump in an ammo box with out counting. I swear I won’t ever do it again about this time every year! But alas!

View attachment 1716188228
You always do year end inventory in January?

1577809363748.gif

You got yourself one swanky scope with your Nightforce! Don’t you dare put generic mounts on it trying to save money or we will skin you alive! Hah! Good mounts ain’t cheap, and cheap mounts ain’t good!

This isn't the mount I am going with, I just haven't gotten the new one yet and couldn't wait. Damn this thing is huge!!

If all goes well, I'll test it out next Friday, although they're calling for 7-13" of snow next week, if it happens I'm not driving an hour and a half to shoot it.

I feel like it doesn't need one, but I've been contemplating either a brake or a comp for this rifle too. Eventually it'll end up suppressed like my other ones, but until then, maybe a comp would be nice.

20240105_175455.jpg

20240105_182523.jpg

Last edited:
This isn't the mount I am going with, I just haven't gotten the new one yet and couldn't wait. Damn this thing is huge!!

If all goes well, I'll test it out next Friday, although they're calling for 7-13" of snow next week, if it happens I'm not driving an hour and a half to shoot it.

I feel like it doesn't need one, but I've been contemplating either a brake or a comp for this rifle too. Eventually it'll end up suppressed like my other ones, but until then, maybe a comp would be nice.

View attachment 1716188356

View attachment 1716188357
I can just hear your rifle now whispering to you, asking, does this scope make my telescoping butt look skinny or what! Hah! clearly I was wrong I said I thought it would look like a 55 gallon drum on top, nope more like a whiskey barrel! Hehehe
On serious note heck yes for a comp. I would wait on the can as several players in the industry are revealing new technology on cans at Shot Show. It will be a game changer, (think back pressure) I am guessing there will be a bunch of guys selling present cans for the new versions which are head and shoulders above present technology. Hold your position here for a couple of months and let them get to market. By same token I can envision current cans going on clearance? Either way all good for end users!

View attachment 1716188228
Do you inventory by the round or by the box? I just get more when I'm down to 4-5 boxes in a certain caliber.

Do you inventory by the round or by the box? I just get more when I'm down to 4-5 boxes in a certain caliber.
As a reloader I typically no longer use boxs, instead I use stackable ammo cans. I put a duct tape label on the end with desc and count. Sonic subsonic fps recipe etc. For the most part I do pretty good at keeping up. In the case of 45-70 not so much! I get lazy there because I only shoot one version, one recipe!

O you my friend have exquisite taste!
Definately a thing for the model of 1911! I also have a thing for oddball cartridges, so I have a smattering of different ones like 6x45, 6.5 grendel, 50 beowulf, 38/40 wcf 32/20 wcf, 25/20 wcf, 5.7x28, 7.62x25, 350 legend, 38 super is one of my favs, as is the 10mm. one of my favorite carry guns is a North American Arms .32 acp! I don't know why but i really like it. I had a model 23 Glock with nite sites on it that was super accurate, but I traded it to a retired police officer in my town for a model 27. I dont like to carry or shoot that one at all. I reload for everything I shoot and then some that I don't even shoot anymore. I cast and powder coat all my bullets. I believe that I reload for approx. 40 different cartridges and have approx. 110 different bullet molds. It's an OBSESSION!

Definately a thing for the model of 1911! I also have a thing for oddball cartridges, so I have a smattering of different ones like 6x45, 6.5 grendel, 50 beowulf, 38/40 wcf 32/20 wcf, 25/20 wcf, 5.7x28, 7.62x25, 350 legend, 38 super is one of my favs, as is the 10mm. one of my favorite carry guns is a North American Arms .32 acp! I don't know why but i really like it. I had a model 23 Glock with nite sites on it that was super accurate, but I traded it to a retired police officer in my town for a model 27. I dont like to carry or shoot that one at all. I reload for everything I shoot and then some that I don't even shoot anymore. I cast and powder coat all my bullets. I believe that I reload for approx. 40 different cartridges and have approx. 110 different bullet molds. It's an OBSESSION!
Well you reload out of necessity given your caliber fetish! Hah! Man you got an eclectic mix of hard to find ammo for sure. The 38 super is an oft overlooked caliber that is very accurate and just the right balance of weight speed and size. I compete with a 38/55 so reckon I can’t talk to much smack on ya! Not to stir up a pot of stuff but I am with you on the Glock thing. I have been Glock free for I think right at a year! Makes me quite unpopular in my circle! Plus side I provide plenty of material to the guys for heckling as a result. If I hear “don’t drop that thing or it will go off” one more time (Work gun is SIG) I will puke! Hah!

Well third bay is ready for the most part, couple odds and ends but essentially ready for business. My body is beat to crap. Only real casualty is my side cuts! They may or may not have cut a hot wire during all the lighting work! Moron!

IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

Only real casualty is my side cuts! They may or may not have cut a hot wire during all the lighting work! Moron!
that is how wire strippers are created, but they tend to be wire gauge specific unless you are really careless.
Been there done that.

I still have my red handled Klein's from Industrial Electronics tech school in 1985, and they still cut any wire and can strip 18, 14, and 12 ga.:eek:

that is how wire strippers are created, but they tend to be wire gauge specific unless you are really careless.
Been there done that.

I still have my red handled Klein's from Industrial Electronics tech school in 1985, and they still cut any wire and can strip 18, 14, and 12 ga.:eek:
I have red handled set of strippers that I think I was born with! I do like my Blue Point clamp style stripper. Push the wire in till it stops and squeeze. Makes romex and receptacles easy!

Reeling us back in from strippers I spent the day weighing out brass into lots of 1000. Yes I am that kind of geeky. It just makes the whole ammo box shuffle during reloading much easier. I am prepping to do a 556 run. If you are curious, that is 100 rounds of 223/556 in the box with spent primers still attached. Tare is on so that is actual weight. Did I mention I don’t count? I mean seriously, I am from Arkansas it is winter so I got to wear shoes. Cuts my counting ability in half!

IMG_1003.jpeg

Reeling us back in from strippers I spent the day weighing out brass into lots of 1000. Yes I am that kind of geeky. It just makes the whole ammo box shuffle during reloading much easier. I am prepping to do a 556 run. If you are curious, that is 100 rounds of 223/556 in the box with spent primers still attached. Tare is on so that is actual weight. Did I mention I don’t count? I mean seriously, I am from Arkansas it is winter so I got to wear shoes. Cuts my counting ability in half!

View attachment 1716190447
You are hilarious SLO. My machinist friend kept track of a pound of powder and he said it came out perfect right down to the last grain.

Getting ready for youth trap season, as a Coach/ Instructor for shotgun I got to take my “A” game. As a result I have been trying to do at least a hundred mounts per night with my trusty trap gun. It is a Browning Lightening in 20 Ga. I have shot enough trap and skeet I just don’t use a 12 anymore. Funny thing about trap in that it is just like Hockey. Nobody asks you how, they ask how many! 25 is 25! For those not familiar the gizmo on the butt absorbs both shock and allows me to set cant on the shotgun. Cant is the pitch if you will away from your check on the vertical axis so that when you mount your eye is directly behind the bead and level with rib. It is one of the true keys to fitting a shotgun and is often times over looked by the focus on pull length. Free pro tip. Do Not put the butt in your elbow and see where your trigger finger lands! Yes that will give you a clue but it is far more efficient to see where your thumb lies with relation to your beak!
You are hilarious SLO. My machinist friend kept track of a pound of powder and he said it came out perfect right down to the last grain.
Hah! 7000 grains equals a pound if you were curious!

IMG_0999.jpeg

Getting ready for youth trap season, as a Coach/ Instructor for shotgun I got to take my “A” game. As a result I have been trying to do at least a hundred mounts per night with my trusty trap gun. It is a Browning Lightening in 20 Ga. I have shot enough trap and skeet I just don’t use a 12 anymore. Funny thing about trap in that it is just like Hockey. Nobody asks you how, they ask how many! 25 is 25! For those not familiar the gizmo on the butt absorbs both shock and allows me to set cant on the shotgun. Cant is the pitch if you will away from your check on the vertical axis so that when you mount your eye is directly behind the bead and level with rib. It is one of the true keys to fitting a shotgun and is often times over looked by the focus on pull length. Free pro tip. Do Not put the butt in your elbow and see where your trigger finger lands! Yes that will give you a clue but it is far more efficient to see where your thumb lies with relation to your beak!

Hah! 7000 grains equals a pound if you were curious!

View attachment 1716190448
she’s pretty John. I’m sure you will be on your A game as usual. My kids also are getting back into the season and warming up for it to start so they have been doing the same. Mounting their shotguns each night and heading out for a round on the weekend. They go back out again this weekend.

View attachment 1716190447
When I'm doing large lots of .223 or 45acp, I use the 100 count primer sleeves to break them into smaller lots if I have to as I empty them.

Got a medium flat rate box of LC .223 brass to turn into 300BO for my new carbine upper. Was going to make the cutting jig on the mill (and still may) but I decided to try one of the 3D printed ones for $12 to my door first. Looking into getting a muffler for it as well. Wow, is that whole process and extraordinary cost frustrating. To think that the Europeans are ahead of us in the promotion of suppressors as safety devices is baffling. I think they should be issued with every purchase, just like they do with trigger locks in some areas.

When I'm doing large lots of .223 or 45acp, I use the 100 count primer sleeves to break them into smaller lots if I have to as I empty them.

Got a medium flat rate box of LC .223 brass to turn into 300BO for my new carbine upper. Was going to make the cutting jig on the mill (and still may) but I decided to try one of the 3D printed ones for $12 to my door first. Looking into getting a muffler for it as well. Wow, is that whole process and extraordinary cost frustrating. To think that the Europeans are ahead of us in the promotion of suppressors as safety devices is baffling. I think they should be issued with every purchase, just like they do with trigger locks in some areas.
I use the little harbor freight cut off saw to make my 300 brass. I posted a picture of it and the jig I use a few pages back. Although yesterday I was scrounging for ammo box’s at Academy sports and found some 300blk in packages of 250 for sixty bucks. That is darn cheap and beats Midway. We all know how long it takes to make 250 rounds of 300blk. Took me about a heartbeat to purchase 250 of them. Best sixty bucks I have spent in a long time!

Could you post a picture of the 3D printed jig? I have a printer and would like to make one. It's a lot harder to get a suppressor here in the CommyWealth of Ma., I would not even bother, if I shoot subsonic ammo, it is pretty quiet anyhow.

Could you post a picture of the 3D printed jig? I have a printer and would like to make one. It's a lot harder to get a suppressor here in the CommyWealth of Ma., I would not even bother, if I shoot subsonic ammo, it is pretty quiet anyhow.
It isn't here yet but this is the one I got.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1577843049/300-blackout-trim-jig-gen3-convert?gpla=1&gao=1&

There are lots of them out there and even free files to print from I think. I don't have my printer yet, though and it was so cheap, I couldn't resist saving an hour or two futzing with making one.

I use the little harbor freight cut off saw to make my 300 brass. I posted a picture of it and the jig I use a few pages back. Although yesterday I was scrounging for ammo box’s at Academy sports and found some 300blk in packages of 250 for sixty bucks. That is darn cheap and beats Midway. We all know how long it takes to make 250 rounds of 300blk. Took me about a heartbeat to purchase 250 of them. Best sixty bucks I have spent in a long time!
That's a good price and definite time saver. I have a copy of the Giraurd trimmer that I made that makes short work of trimming, so with the saw and jig it shouldn't be too painful to blow through them. Keeps me out of the bars for a while too.

-
Back