Guys at the shows and cruises are really rude

-

msaund69

Cold-Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm not sure if I'm just getting old and grumpy or perhaps not as thick skinned as I used to be. So I figured I'd ask you guys....

Have you noticed that a lot of guys at the shows and cruises are really rude? I'm all for great cars but I really don’t need to belittle others efforts to feel better...

I'm talking about the other "car guys" not the visitors. Guys 50 plus like me. Where the hell did our manners go? Things like leaning on cars, putting their crap on the hood or the ever popular "what a piece of shi$" comments (BTW, yes I know my Dart is a piece of shi$!), but I seem to see this way too often and it doesn't seem to matter who's car it is.

Any thoughts?
:banghead:

Society, as a whole, is on its way down the crapper. It is more than just at car shows that people are rude.....

Yes people can be rude. I also am in the over 50 club and have seen it far too much. I usually ignore what people say as the car is mine not theirs. If I hear people refer to another car as a POS I will sometimes ask if it's theirs. If not I usually ask where there POS is. Sometimes people are astute enough to pick up on what I mean others are still clueless! As for people sitting on or putting their stuff down. I usually ask for a little respect. There are some shows I won't even go to due to the people that attend them. Enjoy your car as it is your's not theirs!

Inkjunkie is correct in that it is a society problem over all.Two years ago we move to a 55+ community and I was shocked how rude so many of these people are.I thought those of us in the 55+ age bracket were brought up like I was as far as manners and respect for others property.Not true...if I say excuse me or thank you they look at you like you are from Mars or something.If somebody leans on my car they are politely asked not to. I do have to admit I've thrown out the piece of junk comment but not where it can be heard.

YES, I was at a cruise-in and was sitting with my wife and over comes this filty dirty guy and starts talking to me.. First place he stunk, And was just full of bullsh-t. But Im a friendly guy. So I'm talking to him. He started leaning on my car with his dirty crappy clothes, I said to him I've got a ton of money in that car and ton of time. Do you think he got the hint, NOPE moved to another spot to lean on. My wife being alot bolder got up and looked to see if there were scratches where he was first leaning then he got the hint. I said I've gotta go talk to this guy over hear. I'll see you later ,my wife was livid and I will never let someone lean or touch my car again or I will have to answer to the big boss...There were no scratches but the disrespect just pissed me off and her even more..Lol. As far as calling someone car a piece of sh-t most of the time they are just jealous and wish they had something half as nice ..Bill

I always remember two rules when it comes to car shows. 1) Dont touch anything 2) If you cant say anything nice then dont say anything at all

Car shows were exciting when you were young and haven't seen much.(no computers) Now its just real boring.

I had a chevelle guy that leaned on my 64 Sport Fury. I asked him not to, and he walked away quickly. About a year or so later, I saw him leaning on it again. I told him if he did it again, I was going to climb all over his trunk. He also came up to me at the end of a car show ranting because he didn't get a trophy for his chevelle, but I did.What an ***.

I always remember two rules when it comes to car shows. 1) Dont touch anything 2) If you cant say anything nice then dont say anything at all

This is a grey area for me......if you are not looking for other folks opinions why bring your ride to a car show? Or do you only want to hear the positive things? One thing for someone to have a comment that you might not like...ie....who did your body work, a blind guy that has numb hands versus some stinky bastard leaning on your ride.....You folks best not be at the Good Guys show here in Spokane on Saturday....My wife & I are going and she is very open with her comments....If asked where her ride is her comment is always the same.....we are not looking at my ride right now.....yours is the one that is parked here for others to look at.....some may consider this rude.....but at the same time if you did not want to comments about your ride than why are you showing it?

Back to why I came back to this thread.....not trying to start a war here...but how many of us folks get the door for our spouse/girl friend? Or help an old lady in Costco when she is struggling with a 40 pound bag of dog food? Never mind holding the door for your wife/girl friend but how about any random woman going thru a door some where? I get stereotyped constantly when I am wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt....the name inkjunkie came about due to my arms/legs being sleeved. Nothing like holding the door for a woman that just gave me the evil eye because of my artwork.

Opinions are like buttholes- everyone has one and a lot of them stink! Don't let them bother you. Enjoy your car and let the buttholes be happy in their own little world.

Common courtesy is don't touch something that is not yours. Most people are clueless and rude. I'm a nice guy who would talk to anyone as well but try to touch or lean on my car and i WILL let you know that's endangering your health :D

When I used to car shows, I always thought it was funny how parents would all but rip their kids arms off to keep them from touching motorcycles yet would not give a second thought to their kids touching the cars. I have been to car shows and had someone leaning against my car, and would open the door dig around in the glove compartment etc, they never would get the hint.
As far as comments, I just laugh them off, cause they usually have no basis on fact. don't know how many times I overheard comments such as "he must have added the headrest, because it can't be factory with a headrest on just one seat."

This is a lot of the reason I quit doing car shows in the 80's. And yes I agree with ink on the society issue. There are no manners or courtesy in our every day society. I still hold doors for people and so do all 4 of my children. I'm not in the over 50 group yet, but close. When I was young I can remember being places and having adults talking. If I called someone by their first name my parents or grandparents would let me know that was Mr or Mrs so and so. This is a big reason I do not like crowds. Stores where people stand in the middle of isles talking so no one can pass, bumping into you, hitting you with shopping carts etc. no apology of any sort.

This is a grey area for me......if you are not looking for other folks opinions why bring your ride to a car show? Or do you only want to hear the positive things? One thing for someone to have a comment that you might not like...ie....who did your body work, a blind guy that has numb hands versus some stinky bastard leaning on your ride.....You folks best not be at the Good Guys show here in Spokane on Saturday....My wife & I are going and she is very open with her comments....If asked where her ride is her comment is always the same.....we are not looking at my ride right now.....yours is the one that is parked here for others to look at.....some may consider this rude.....but at the same time if you did not want to comments about your ride than why are you showing it?

Back to why I came back to this thread.....not trying to start a war here...but how many of us folks get the door for our spouse/girl friend? Or help an old lady in Costco when she is struggling with a 40 pound bag of dog food? Never mind holding the door for your wife/girl friend but how about any random woman going thru a door some where? I get stereotyped constantly when I am wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt....the name inkjunkie came about due to my arms/legs being sleeved. Nothing like holding the door for a woman that just gave me the evil eye because of my artwork.

While I understand what your saying, i guess reasoning for bringing a car to a show are different person to person... Me, I take my car to shows, because I enjoy going to look at cars, to hang with my car friends, their families, and their rides.. To talk cars, and too relax.. I'm not looking for praise for my car, or pats on the back.. At the same time, that golden rule of 'if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all' should always apply.. And not just at car shows.. I heard plenty of nasty comments from *** clowns when the Dart was 3 colors, front clip in primer (interestingly enough some of those very same *** clowns gave me all kinds of positive comments once it was done.. Even telling me it was so much nicer than that piece of **** Dart I used to own, not realizing they were looking at the same car).

I don't go to shows to bash others rides.. I have seen some ridiculous **** at shows, if I don't like what I see I move along.. Negative comments, accomplish nothing and are generally useless.. But this is just my opinion, the way I was raised, and the way I conduct myself.

And Ink, I will say that I am proud to be one of those left that open doors and pull out chairs for a lady, help people carry stuff to their cars If need be.. I hold doors when people are coming up behind me etc.. Back in the day I used to have very long hair and would get those 'evil looks' from older people while I held doors and whatnot, while they most likely looked at me as some low life hippie...

As to the OP it is clear to me also that society as a whole appears to be circling the bowl.. Actions, responses, kindness, curtesy, and respect have changed drastically since I was young... Its sad

This whole thing about politeness declining in our society as a whole is a very complex statement. I am not trying to sound like a arrogant know it all but I get tired of hearing this. Politeness isn't declining its evolving. Look at what manners were back in the Time of Jesus. You were expected to wash the feet of the guests and pour oil on them, pretty much bath them. Or in the Middle Ages when chivalry was running the show. Or in the 50s when the men would stand up every time a women entered the room. Saying that manners are getting worse and worse would assume that eventually there will be no such thing as manners. I think it just changes with each generation and the older generation will more than likely not agree with the new one. Bottom line is go to the drag strip and have fun and take it easy, it's just a car.

Now if everyone else would follow these rules... Pisses me off when people lean on my vehicle. I don't care if its a rust eaten Acura, if it ain't yours DON'T TOUCH IT! That's what pissed me off most living in an apartment complex. Come outside and people would always be leaned up against my car!

This whole thing about politeness declining in our society as a whole is a very complex statement. I am not trying to sound like a arrogant know it all but I get tired of hearing this. Politeness isn't declining its evolving. Look at what manners were back in the Time of Jesus. You were expected to wash the feet of the guests and pour oil on them, pretty much bath them. Or in the Middle Ages when chivalry was running the show. Or in the 50s when the men would stand up every time a women entered the room. Saying that manners are getting worse and worse would assume that eventually there will be no such thing as manners. I think it just changes with each generation and the older generation will more than likely not agree with the new one. Society is not going to end up being some anarchical world where people run around farting in kids faces. Manners will always be around so don't worry about that. Now if in ten years from now we have hooligans leaning all over other people's cars then god help us all.

Now if everyone else would follow these rules... Pisses me off when people lean on my vehicle. I don't care if its a rust eaten Acura, if it ain't yours DON'T TOUCH IT!

X1000!! This is also something that has radically changed over the years.. People have no respect for other people's stuff... When I was a kid you didn't go in people's yards without permission.. You didn't touch people's stuff unless they wanted you to.. Heck if we threw a ball in the neighbors yard, we rang the doorbell and politely asked if we could retrieve it.. And we didn't lean on people's cars. For the most part I won't lean on my own vehicle.. I certainly won't lean on someone else's..2 weeks ago at a show I watched three little kids running between cars (mine being one of them) dragging hands down the sides, grabbing door handles etc..) with the parents sitting a couple cars down, oblivious... Needless to say I didn't leave them oblivious for long...

If someone leaned on my car at a car cruise, I would tell him to get off my car and make it clear that I was pissed. That's big time ignorant. I would never lean on someone's car, or even touch it.

-
Back