GV Under/Overdrive Units

-

petnic01

Reaction score
Happy New Year All. Hope you are all enjoying the warm weather!:bs:Just wondering if anyone here has installed a Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive unit on their A833 tranny and what sort of success are you having with it? Seems like a cheaper alternative than a Tremec which I believe is inferior to the A833. Any information would be helpful. Thank you!

The GV unit itself is them same no matter what tranny it's on. The adaptor is about 700$.

I have one on a 727 behind a 500hp 440. It's been on there for near 15 years. No issues at all.

I want to get one for my Street Strip car. I want to drive my car all over the place, but sometimes 4.10 gears get a little annoying. There is a company coming out with a 5 speed OD transmission that is the same case as the A833. Going to cost around 5k

I'm currently running 3:55 gears and with this unit, it will ride like it had 2:76 gears. I'm considering going with 4:10s which will ride like I had 3:23 gears. I understand the unit is running at about $2800US plus shipping (over $3100CDN these days) and with some modification to the drive shaft, would give me 4 additional gear settings including a .78 final drive. Seems a lot cheaper than a new transmission accomplishing the same final result assuming you won't have to rebuild your A833.

If you have all of the clutch gear in car I recommend the Tremec TKO600. It cannot be broken. We have been runing a TKO500 for ten years behind a 425 h.p. crate motor. Runs 12.60's all day and cruises like a dream. We are upgrading to a 600 because we are pumping up the power to 560 h.p. Let er rip.

I have the GV unit and love it. Makes a bit of a clunk when downshifting but the mfg said that's normal and it does not hurt the unit.

I have about 4200 miles on mine and have hammered on it up and down. It's solid and I'm pushing some decent hp through it. Big block car and it needs the break on the highway.

The only issue I ever had was a dying battery causing a low voltage issue that made the control unit cpu freak out and lock in at start up and stay engaged. Not good to be engaged in reverse I assure you. I called the GV mfg and they were very helpful to assure me no damage occurred when I backed up and warned me about the low voltage issues with the controller. I followed their advise and put a decent battery in my car and have had no problems since.

500 ci bb 3:55 gears and a 727 with 3000 stall.

I have the GV unit and love it. Makes a bit of a clunk when downshifting but the mfg said that's normal and it does not hurt the unit.

I have about 4200 miles on mine and have hammered on it up and down. It's solid and I'm pushing some decent hp through it. Big block car and it needs the break on the highway.

The only issue I ever had was a dying battery causing a low voltage issue that made the control unit cpu freak out and lock in at start up and stay engaged. Not good to be engaged in reverse I assure you. I called the GV mfg and they were very helpful to assure me no damage occurred when I backed up and warned me about the low voltage issues with the controller. I followed their advise and put a decent battery in my car and have had no problems since.

500 ci bb 3:55 gears and a 727 with 3000 stall.
have you ever checked the hiway mileage on it / curious how much diff. it would make on a big engine. mine has a 3:73 dana w/ 28" tall tires-----------yea, i know, but would like to be able to afford to drive it to work some ---bob

are there any clearance issues with the gear vendors unit in an a body? I have been thinking of installing one in my 4 speed dart for a while now but I don't want to have to cut it up.

I don't know how much better it is since I get crappy mileage to start with. It does save fuel though vs. without as the engine RPM drops so less rpm = less fuel for the same mph. so maybe I go from 9 to 12 mpg....anything is an improvement since I run 50-50 race/pump mix.

Did not have to make any modifications to the hump but did have to change the drive shaft length. You will need to check the pinion angle and adjust as necessary.

Give it a bit of throttle when downshifting and it won't make that clunk

are there any clearance issues with the gear vendors unit in an a body? I have been thinking of installing one in my 4 speed dart for a while now but I don't want to have to cut it up.

No clearence issues at all. YOu just need to shorten your driveshaft

I don't know how much better it is since I get crappy mileage to start with. It does save fuel though vs. without as the engine RPM drops so less rpm = less fuel for the same mph. so maybe I go from 9 to 12 mpg....anything is an improvement since I run 50-50 race/pump mix.

I have no fuel gauge, well... no working fuel gauge. I have to be getting well over 10mpg on the highway though. 500hp 440 727 3500 stall.

I have several, the oldest one is in the PW, which has been in there since 1990 something.

In that particular use it was used for the bad 3/4 split in the 435 trans, it also wound up paying for itself in mpg gained in 1 year (PW had 4.5), back in the early 90's when gas was far from these prices.

I had installed one in my RR (4.3) and Mag (4.8), RR in the 550hp are the other 800 + 2 stgs.

None of them have any issues.

The thing you'll like is you'll be able to split gears in the trans rather than just have what you have and a od gear thrown on the end, you'll find it useful in certain situations.

Shaft will need to be shortened, or get a new one in AL, what i did with all of them even the truck.

Like 2nd gear plus OD driving through a 30mph zone etc.

Good point SS

I ended up lowering my trans mount 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch to get mine to fit without tunnel modification. 68 Dart 360/904. It was that or heavy hammering on the tunnel. Didn't like either option. The gear vendor is great other than that.

-
Back