H pipe question, regarding sound.

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
Although performance is usually first on everybodys list, this is something I want to try, cause I like the sound.

It regards that "tinging" you sometimes hear on an engine with a stout cam, high compression, and quite exhaust. All that is heard is the headers reverbrating from the engine.

I had read a way to maximize this, and was wondering if anybody has tried it.

1. paint the exhaust pipes with cheap paint, then drive the car a little bit.
2. Wherever the paint starts to melt first on each pipe, those are the two places where the H pipe joints should be.
3. Run a rather small H pipe, I think something like 1 5/8th was mentioned. The smaller the pipe the more the "tinging is enhanced.

Does this work? Its worth a shot if you really want that sound. After all, one could always go to the correct type H pipe if they didnt like it.

I agree H pipes help with drone and in most cases add power, I run an H pipe. But I have been told the spray paint on exhaust and where ever melts theory is B.S

..an H or X will make your exhaust quieter.The factories installed an H so they could
use less restrictive mufflers and gain a bit.
..those H an X's make money...for the exhaust companies.

The X or H either one will tone down the reverberation, but I don't know about the pipe ring.
I know for a fact that 40 series Flowmasters about 24 inches from the header collector increases that pipe ringing sound because the mufflers themselves make that sound also.
I'm running 2.5 X pipe dual exhaust and it definatley rings those Flowmasters.

The paint theory is used on pipe length after the collector with open headers. Install an H anywhere after the trans cross member before the mufflers. The H will take away the old chevy small pipe glass pack sound. I call them the Cacklers. I hate that sound. But they always win the loud exhaust competition.

Mopar Performance, Larry Sheppard suggests 12 - 14 inches behind collector
for best sound reduction,and smaller diameter than the exhaust.
i have no first hand experience though.

i have the 3" tti x-pipe set up into flows. i think it sounds pretty good.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aLTuGFWyDuw[/ame]

-
Back