Had a bad day

-

turbomopar

Reaction score
Drivin home from work totay oil pressure droped to 0 in my duster dont think its hirt to bad as soon as I heard the engine rattle I shut the key off guess I will be puttipng a oil pump in it. Can u get the oil pan off in the car with the motor mounts loose?

If it is a SB V8 you can remove the pan without removing the mounts. Jack up the car and put jack stands under both sides and then remove the inner tie rods on both sides of the center link,remove center link and you should have enough clearance to get to the 1/2" bolts. use both a 1/4" ratchet with long extension and 3/8" ratchet with extension so you can access the bolts around the "K" member. Also use a 1/2" box end/open end wrench to get to the front oil pan to timing cover bolts. I just recently did my oil pump on my Duster. it is not too hard to access the pump once the pan is off. If you have headers you would be better removing the passenger side header at the collector and the head and get a helper to lift up on the header and you can kind of move the pan around and get it to drop out. Make sure to check oil pickup screen for any foreign matter that may have accumulated in the screen and clean as need or replace. I bought a new pickup from NAPA ($20.00). When installing the pan, make sure that the end seal rubber gaskets are fully pressed into the pin holes on the pan. I had to be careful on my pan as the front rubber gasket would want to pull out of the pin hole on the drivers side and twist when I was tightening it up. take your time and you should be OK.After you torque the oil pan bolts to spec and run the car, make sure to check the bolts and see that they are still torqued tight.

I had a bad day yesterday. :( and I think mildon makes oil pans you can remove without needing to pull the engine.. but you're probably gonna need to pull the engine just do it right the first time instead of trying to cut corners and possibly complicate things.

28597610150727623945643.jpg

It broke the oil pump shaft. Luckily the motor sounds alright. Could have been alot worse:toothy7:

Replace the pump, shaft and pickup tube. Well worth spending the extra cash for the new parts.

There was mention of shafts breaking in the tech section of one of the Mopar magazines lately. I've forgotten the details but there is an improved shaft available.
Glad there was no damage.
Dallas

-
Back