Had some fun today

-

64cudaV8

Reaction score
I decided since it was a great day here I would take the Cuda in to work. The fun starts about a mile out from the jobsite. The car suddenly starts shaking badly. its not in the steering wheel so I know its not in the front end. I immediately press in the clutch and turn the car off and start coasting. It continues to vibrate. Gotta give it to this car. It coast's very, very well. Quite a distance. I am pretty close to work but not gonna quite make it. I pull over to a empty parking lot. I grab a flash light out the trunk and look under the car. no fluid spilling anywhere. Can't see anything out of the ordinary with a quick glance. I am thinking the worse that the 4 speed broke. I get in the car press the clutch go into neutral and start her up. Runs fine. goes through the gears fine. I am scratching my head now. Put her into first and she moves with no noise. Hmmmmm I see if I can at least limp her over to work which I can see just across the road. No cars coming either way and I give it a shot. She starts moving fine I get into second gear. no vibration. rolling just fine. then it starts vibrating like hell again. I end up getting into the parking lot at work and shut her down and wait for daylight. I go out at first light to find the u-joint clamp bolts backed out and I lost a u joint cap. Just one. The other is what kept it from coming out all the way. I go down to autozone who happen to have one in stock.. wow. I simply change out the two caps and drove her home. I just ordered a new moog u joint and new retaining clamps. I notice the u joint bolts, none of them had lock washers on them.. I hate people that have no business ever working on a car. I usually change the u joints out on any classic I buy for this reason.. The one time I don't!!!:violent1:

I have to admit coming behind a P O can be a wonderful experience OR continual pain and suffering!!!!!!

I have found, until I have looked over, replaced, or rebuilt every possible part of said car, it can and will eventually cause me TROUBLE!!! ha

ain't life with these old cars a thrill;!!!????

At least YOU were able to diagnose and fix the problem without having a tow involved.

Did spark plugs on the kids' Sebring yesterday. all day job when you factor in its the original rotor under a replacement distributor cap. 200k miles. Sheesh, some people!!

Glad you didn't damage anything!

At least YOU were able to diagnose and fix the problem without having a tow involved.

Exactly, New cars wouldn't be as easy. For all intents and purposes I thought a tow was in my future. I'm just thankful it did it where I was. not in the middle of the freeway or busy section of road.

Loctite will be going on them once I get the new u joint and retainer clamps

I have to admit coming behind a P O can be a wonderful experience OR continual pain and suffering!!!!!!

I have found, until I have looked over, replaced, or rebuilt every possible part of said car, it can and will eventually cause me TROUBLE!!! ha

ain't life with these old cars a thrill;!!!????

LOL That's normally what I do. the one time..

It could have been a LOT worse. A friend many years ago lost a driveshaft at speed, while on a double date. The thing was a two piece GM type, and it beat a big hole in the rear floor pan before he got the car stopped. The couple in the back seat were a bit bothered by that! Luckily nobody got hurt!

-
Back