Hairpin clips

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my '67 Dart auto trans steering column. On the underside of the shift collar I find these little hairpin clips. What are they for? I don't see them in the '67 Moparts diagrams. I'm curious what they could be for, they are simply clipped onto the base of two pot metal buttresses.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Hmmm, maybe the outer column housing end abutts those when you tighten down the two screws to hold that collar section on.....maybe...I'll check that out. It makes sense, you'd only need two. If so, I wonder why they didn't just include the spacers in the casting....

Hey, CFD244, you were correct! I checked the end of the column housing...indeed, when you tighten the two screws it pulls the housing in and against those clips, see indentations in the photo below. Mystery solved.

1.png

I guess they either 1) didn't include it in the casting for some reason on purpose, or 2) just overlooked it and found a makeshift solution. Either way it works...

Looks like the same clips that is used on the throttle stud to hold the slotted rod on with a washer.

-
Back