Happy 427 Day!

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin bout!

427 SOHC.jpg

......and take that. More 427 stuff.

FORD 427 HEADERS.jpg

That's what I'm talkin bout!

View attachment 1715326603
Indeed happy 427 day.
Maybe not a mopar but for those who do not have an affinity for American automotive history as does the fine gentleman who started the thread, I will explain.

The Ford 427 SOHC engine is a significant piece of history because it appeared in the 60s when an overhead cam was never heard of.

Known as a "cammer" engine, they are extremely rare and were banned from nascar around the same time the 426 Hemi was banned from Nascar due to being labeled unfair competition.

Connie Kalitta used this engine in top fuel funny cars.

Fine job RRR, bravo

Ray-Brock-1964-Galaxie-SOHC-427.jpg

Now I get it. But it's still the 26th here for 30 more minutes. You guys are trying to mess with my head. I better give up drinking.

Indeed happy 427 day.
Maybe not a mopar but for those who do not have an affinity for American automotive history as does the fine gentleman who started the thread, I will explain.

The Ford 427 SOHC engine is a significant piece of history because it appeared in the 60s when an overhead cam was never heard of.

Known as a "cammer" engine, they are extremely rare and were banned from nascar around the same time the 426 Hemi was banned from Nascar due to being labeled unfair competition.

Fine job RRR, bravo

View attachment 1715326608

Chrysler was working on a dual overhead cam Hemi the A-925 DOHC, but cancelled it when NASCAR banned them....

Indeed happy 427 day.

Fine job RRR, bravo

View attachment 1715326608

That's a cool picture too, Rani. notice that's the FIRST car (64 Galaxie) the SOHC engine was ever put in. note how early design it is with the spark plugs entering from the lower valve cover rail. The later versions were redesigned so the plugs were at the top, because R&D discovered more power was made with the plug relocated. In the end though, they discovered the plug didn't care and the relocation was more for ease of access. Had that engine been allowed to run, it would have certainly been a Hemi killing Hemi. lol That would have made Chrysler step up its game even harder. I "just bet" Chrysler would have answered with a 700 plus HP Hemi. This was still the early 60s, after all and challenges like that didn't go unanswered. Oh what could have been.

Here is a really cool article.

Cammer–the real story of the legendary Ford 427 SOHC V8

That has to be the most awesomest gear drive setup in automotive history.

It even gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. :rolleyes:

SOHC-gear-drive.jpg

Now I get it. But it's still the 26th here for 30 more minutes. You guys are trying to mess with my head. I better give up drinking.

Just wait till the 28th. I have even more surprises. lol

That's a cool picture too, Rani. notice that's the FIRST car (64 Galaxie) the SOHC engine was ever put in. note how early design it is with the spark plugs entering from the lower valve cover rail. The later versions were redesigned so the plugs were at the top, because R&D discovered more power was made with the plug relocated. In the end though, they discovered the plug didn't care and the relocation was more for ease of access. Had that engine been allowed to run, it would have certainly been a Hemi killing Hemi. lol That would have made Chrysler step up its game even harder. I "just bet" Chrysler would have answered with a 700 plus HP Hemi. This was still the early 60s, after all and challenges like that didn't go unanswered. Oh what could have been.

Here is a really cool article.

Cammer–the real story of the legendary Ford 427 SOHC V8
That engine was raced , it didn`t out do the hemi mopar and didn`t last very long .

-
Back