Happy Thanksgiving!

-

TheMoparMan

Modifies everything
Reaction score
To all those on FABO and to their Families, Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 88
And a Happy Thanksiving to everybody here from me as well! I'm thankful to have so many good friends here!! Geof

It's long , but I think it reads well.
Happy Thanksgiving to all you crazy cats.

Thanksgiving thoughts.
There are a good number of people who really ought to be saying " You're welcome " I think.
For my quitting the booze and dope 25 years ago , I will say you're welcome. I am enough of a problem sober and I cannot fathom what a colossal dick I would be if I hadn't quit.
But that's not exactly where I wanted to go when I started puzzling this thing together yesterday.
I was specifically thinking of my Father........which naturally prompted the many contributions my Mother added to the equation.
Raising six sons was no treat.......I am nearly positive of that.
But the sacrifices they made for us , big and small , were some of the building blocks that laid the foundations for our futures.
The lessons they passed on , and I am not going to insult your intelligence with a Ward and June existence here because they definitely made mistakes too , but those lessons stay with me to this day.
I know that one of my Mom's fondest wishes was that one of us either enter the clergy or marry a nice Irish Catholic girl. She was 0 for 6 on that one.
But none of us wound up doing hard time , and all of us assimilated into society in our own unique ways.........all being contributing members to society and a couple truly excelling at their chosen fields.
Mom was really the anchor our lives were tethered to. My Dad worked for the railroad and was gone a good chunk of the time. Never far from our thoughts , but seldom in the same zip code.
For me personally , it was the trust she showed in me. And it manifested itself at an early age.
When Father Leo accused me ( around age 11 or 12 ) of causing the toilets to overflow after Mass one Sunday.........he actually came running out of the building and stopped our car to level his charges..........she told him he was wrong.
And she was right...........it was my Brothers Dave , Will and Murph as I recall. They sat quiet in the back seat while he railed at her and me , and she was steadfast.
Later , when a neighborhood home was broken into and I was accused ( based on the word of the local paper boy who was asked who fits this description ) , she again stood up for me. The Cops would not relent and she hired me a lawyer to beat this bundle of ****. I knew who did it ( Fred Guenther ) , but well......you know how that goes. When I was acquitted , and remember......I was like 15 years old , she told the Roseville Chief of Police " You guys couldn't catch a cold ".
And again........when accused by Dr. Lazewski , the high school principal , of lighting smoke bombs in the D wing bathroom during a school assembly.
I was never much on lying to her , because she just knew.
So when I told her I didn't do it , she had my back to the end. ( This one was my Brother Bob. ) LOL
Stand your ground when you are right and take no **** in the process.
These stories could make you think I was innocent.......a victim even.
Hardly. I was a handful on my quiet days and caused them both a whole family's worth of worry. But she never wavered in her love for me.
That's not the kind of thing you can pay back really........is it ?
My Dad was the epitome of blue collar , but he had a side that included generosity to strangers , charity , arts , music. Not exactly from a place of culture , but woven into the fabric of a man who had many facets.
Among my fondest memories are when he built us a hockey rink in the back yard. I was in 7th grade and played goalie for Parkview jr. high.
I would have the equipment at home and he would strap on the pads and re-live his youth. Yes......we got the " magazines for shin pads " stories , and the frequent reminders about how tough they were in his day because they didn't wear masks.
But the thing is this........he walked the walk too. Full gear and no mask.
Old Gold hanging from his mouth and challenging us constantly.
There were neighborhood kids who were older that played on our ice too , so he was facing some real shots.
Hell , by then two of my younger Bros had cannons for shots.
He worked hard and he played hard.
He could play virtually anything with strings.......self taught , and a huge bluegrass fan. Guitar and mandolin mostly , though later he taught himself piano and got to be pretty fair. But he really was an exceptional picker. So I owe him for that. When he passed , it was at home and in his sleep. I got the call and raced over there to meet my Brothers.
Next to his bed was a mandolin I had gotten him for his birthday a few years earlier........pick inserted between the strings and in tune.
This affected me deeply.
He taught me how to make a proper fist when I was in 1st. grade..........when I entered high school , his advice was to kick the **** out of the first senior I see and nobody would F-bomb with me from then on.
So we're clearly not talking Ward Cleaver here.
I didn't have to , because I had an older brother......and by that time I was fairly plugged in to the crowd I still run with on occasion.
But I had four younger Brothers coming behind me and I thought it would be prudent to cast a wide shadow that they could be under when they got there. Pointless exercise really.........they were plenty tough on their own.
But the commitment to family and the idea that we look out for each other was set in stone by then.
And this from a man who was generous to a fault , worked for and contributed heavily to charities and had a real sense of compassion for his fellow man.
I reckon most of the contradictions in my soul come from his side of the tracks. But the qualities far outnumbered the faults ……….. by a large margin.
On the score card of life , this statistic means plenty.
I have a great deal to be thankful for , and since Mom is still kicking , I'll get to tell her.
I think Pops knew.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

happy thanksgiving fabo friends, my house smells so good right now i don't know if i'll sleep tonite. just ordered my fabo shirts and hat too.

Mmmmmmm! The smell of that turkey!!!!!!!!! Definitely thankful for that.

-
Back