Harbor Freight - Gems and Junk

-
I've got the non-folding 2 ton engine hoist, or "2 ton shop crane" as they call it. I love it. I don't use it a lot, but it never let's me down. The one thing I really like is the release on it.
So many times you have to crank down on the release to prevent draining down on jacks, then when you do release, BAM!, the thing drops too quickly... Not this thing, barely snug, it holds nice, then when you do release, it gives a very smooth controllable release... Maybe I just got lucky on that one, but either way, it's sweet.
The cheap-*** air nibbler I have works great.
The infra-red temp gun, I've used for about 10 years.
Have a set of T handle Allens that I intentionally used the **** out of daily have held up incredibly well... The plastic T handle ones that when on sale were like $4.
The $10 air cut-off, even with sloppy bearings after years of light usage still kicks ***.
But my all-time favorite? Those stupid black PLASTIC ratchets branded Pittsburgh...
I bought the 3/8" one like 5 years ago, the damn reversing lever is backwards from all other ratchets. Took like 3 months of daily use to get used to that part. It's fine tooth, very smooth, weighs nothing and will never mar something you accidentally bump or bang it into. I work on motorcycles for a living and so many parts are cosmetic, between the low swing weight of the handle, and soft material you have no worries if it bumps something. Been using it for at least 4 years now every day (while my SnapOns sit there looking pretty in my box).

2 items for today's post-

#1- my 2.5 ton low profile jack is still going strong after several years, and I've been using it a lot more this year.

#2- My manual pistol grip grease gun is becoming a PITA to use. Has anyone tried their $20 or $28 air powered gun?

Tractor supply also has a $26 Campbell Hausfeld I'm throwing in to the consideration mix.

I guess I have an item #3-

Anyone use their electrical knockout cutters? I need to cut one 1 inch hole to move a sub panel inside. @ $29 (minus the 20%) I get the whole set versus just one name brand cutter for that price.
I already have a 1/2 inch Greenlee (from my electrician apprentice days) brand but it would be nice to have a whole set, if they'll last more than one or two uses each.

Anyone use their electrical knockout cutters? I need to cut one 1 inch hole to move a sub panel inside. @ $29 (minus the 20%) I get the whole set versus just one name brand cutter for that price.
I already have a 1/2 inch Greenlee (from my electrician apprentice days) brand but it would be nice to have a whole set, if they'll last more than one or two uses each.

You could use a 1-1/8 holesaw to cut a hole on your panel, for the subpanel.

That had occurred to me but I don't have that either, and it's a 52" x 36" span of sheet metal between supports and I'm afraid of deflection and possible damage with a hole saw.

While I'm at it I might as well report on the $50 2500 LB winch after 1 year.

I used it three times in the first two months and it was great. Loaded a car onto a car dolly and pulled another car around the yard. No problem moving those 3500+ pound cars despite the 2500 rating.

It's a little faster than I'm completely comfortable with. It replaces the marine winch, which is MUCH slower and has a better brake.

Now the bad part. When I went to use it last week, the remote didn't work. I put new batteries in it and still nothing. This pretty much rendered it useless until I removed all the wires off the relay
and manually held them on a battery.

It's a $20 ebay replacement but it sucks to have to work around under emergency circumstances, and turns the $50 item into a $70 item.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the marine winch with wired remote again. That one lasted almost 7 years being stored outside for the first 5.

If it's a local store I might try 'em provided the online reviews were positive. No good, take 'em back.
Knockout Punch Kit 10 Pc

FWIW, I decided against their Forstner bit set just by what the web site reviews said.

IMO, Use some cutting fluid if you go with a bi-met hole saw.

I have their small step bit (like a Var-i-bit brand) and so far it's been pretty good.

half a dozen uses, including a 1/2" elongated hole in a trailer hitch bracket about 3/16 or 1/4" thick! plus several other 1/2" holes in the same bracket set.

Fair enough:

Google "First-class engine stand"
CM Products Inc - Ultimate Engine Stand
$480 get you one fancy-dammit engine stand.

Google "made in USA Engine Stand"
1,000 Lbs. Engine Stand - Made in USA - NORCO Industries

Find it here for $308:
Norco 78100 1000 lb Capacity Engine Stand

Still fully a third cheaper than anything you didn't bother actually looking for, and that was only two minutes on Google. Give me ten minutes, I can probably get closer to half price.

You want me to get your groceries, too? ;-)

FWIW, that HF 1000lb stand looks an awful lot like they copied the Norco
1000 lb. Capacity Engine Stand

Me? I think I'll be buying the double-roller bearing fancy pants model next. My $2000+ motors aren't deserving of cheap Chinese gravity defiance, nor are my toes. If I decide not to use my USA-made welder and some USA-made, Union Manufactured steel to whip one up, here in Missouri, USA, that is.
FYI - the Norco 78100 engine stand that you have referenced with the link is not 100% US made. From information on their own site under the Buy American Act, this engine stand carries a label identifying it as having "at least 51% US made products and as being "assembled in the USA". Wonder where the steel came from and where the pieces were cut out HMMMMM!

FYI - the Norco 78100 engine stand that you have referenced with the link is not 100% US made. From information on their own site under the Buy American Act, this engine stand carries a label identifying it as having "at least 51% US made products and as being "assembled in the USA". Wonder where the steel came from and where the pieces were cut out HMMMMM!

Doh-Homer-Simpson.jpg

I went with the Campbell-Hausfeld air grease gun at Tractor Supply for $26.

Worked good on the first use filling ball joint boot that was killing me to fill with my trigger style manual gun. The cylinders from both guns interchange!

-
Back