hard shifting 833

-
I tried ATF in A833 tranny, was not a good deal...(drag racing)...I seized rear bearing to the shaft so bad that a 20 ton press and a torch could not get it loose....I called Bloominthal tranny and Liberty transmission and they said regardless of recomendations never use ATF...The clearances in these trannys were to great...They recomended the Mystik I believe it is JT6...The red 80-90 or 85-140 (would have to look)...I put this in and my tranny, it shifted great and never had another problem...I hope this info will help...Lee

340mopar said:
GL-5 lubricant can be and some specify that it be used in a transmission, here is a link to Valvoline gear oils.
http://www.valvoline.co.nz/prod0111.htm

But this isn't really the issue. The factory manuals recommended ATF years ago and the gear boxes haven't evolved into some other kind of tranny they are still the same trannys as when the manuals were written.

Actually, it is. Some recent formulations are specc'ing dual-rated GL4/5 by using new tech adds that are now supposed to be compatible with the yellow metals (syncros) commonly found in manual transmisisons. Of course the trans doesn't change, but the lubes available for it do. And they are getting better all the time. You just have to be careful about what you put in there, because there is a very wide range of stuff available out there today. Getting the wrong fluid in there is easier to do. It's not just a choice of either ATF or gear lube anymore.

Well, this always seams like a heated discussion on Moparts also. Well my 833 OD tranny in my 81 Dodge shortbed has had ATF for over 6 years and it works fine. Jamie Passon told that he doesn't recommend it at all. So the tranny in my Valiant is from him and it git's 80/90 in it. If I'm remembering right he doesn't like synthetic either. But maybe he was saying that it shouldn't be broke in on that. I guess I'm needing to call him again. I've done business with both Passon and Brewers and they are great people to do deal with.

Lee

I think the reason people are shying away from synthetic gear lubes is that they were predominantly GL5 rated until recently. That would make sense. The issue with ATF vs. anything heavier is stricly a matter of preference with regard to your specific requirements: Temperature, parasitic loss, shift quality, etc., etc. The synthetic vs. conventional issues remain the same for either one, they both come both ways now.

As I mentioned in a previous post I orignally put Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in my A833OD and the syncros didn't like it at all. I went back to the FSM recomended ATF which has been in the tranny for about 40k miles. It has worked well and not given me any problems.

Last weekend I decided to try one of the manual tranny fluids that are available and swapped in Penzoil SyncroMesh fluid. It made a big improvement in the shift quality. Very light feel without any notchiness and smooth as butter. You would think it was a tranny out of a new car.

GL-5 will not agree with your 4 speed...use GL-4
I use amsoil myself with no problems
If you read an old service manual they will state dexron came in them, and if they were noisy, or whatever, use gear lube
right there, to me, thats mopar saying dexron wasnt such a great idea
Its really not that great of a lubricant...go with the GL-4

I've been doing some research on the subject and I am a bit confused. Is the
problem with synthetics that they allow the syncro's to spin to fast and with
90w that it slows them down?
I assume that what you want is a lube that is light weight yet affords enough
shock protection for the gears.

This same subject seems to be quite an issue in some the German forums.

It's not so much the weight of the oil as to what kind or lack of friction modifiers that are in the oil. I used synthetic 90W oil and it didn't work either.

All the gears pairs in the tranny are meshed all the time. The gears on the main shaft are running free on the shaft, the syncro assembly is on splines on the main shaft so they are turning at the speed of the wheels. When you shift the syncro assembly starts to contact the gear being selected and acts like a clutch to speed the gear up or slow it down so the teeth on the syncro engage the teeth on the gear smoothly.

If the oil is too slippery this matching of speeds does not happen and you crash the teeth on the syncro into the mating teeth on the gear. This is were the GL4 vs GL5 rating is important. From what I have read the new GL5 rated oil has additives that do not play nice with Brass syncro parts.

mbaird,

There was a thread earlier this week on how to remove that nasty spring. There are a couple of choices of which both will work. I listed one and there is another one listed after mine too!

Good Luck!

416stroker,

yeah I just read that post on extending the spring and shimming
between the coils. DUUH why didn't I think of that !

i have a 68 fs,manual and it states that due to climate you can use either atf or or gear oil.in the old non o.d. tranny,but i just finished putting a 1976 alum,case o.d.833 and i used 80-90 but that will be going out and atf going back in as one of the guys on the forum said that was correct for the car,but i love what it did for my car.

Just use a synchromesh and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

I used a two strands of rope that hooked to the overcenter spring and went through the a hole in the firewall to the radiator support and used a wrench to make a chinese windlass. When you twist the rope with the wrench that is in the middle, the rope will shorten and I could use a screwdriver through the hole to easily pry the spring off. Remember not to let go of your wrench or it spin like crazy.
It worked for me and was much easier than crawling under the dash.
Rod

I use Amsoil's 75W-90 synthetic MTL in my 833 and their 5W-30 synthetic MTL in my GLHS's A525. Both shift great.

To be able to run synthetic fluid you need to have notches in the syncro rings to let the fluid out fast enough during shifts, Passion Performance sells these.

-
Back