Hard to find oil leak!?

-

polkat

Reaction score
The oil pan on my 318 (in a '73 Dart), is always covered with a mist of oil, front to back. However, closely inspecting the areas of the pan just under the front and rear seals shows them to be fairly dry. I've checked the pan gasket along the rails and found no problems, and the areas just below the valve covers and at the ends of the intake are dry too. Pan bolts are tight. I expect a front and/or rear seal leak (since the whole pan is oily) but find no evidence of it. The engine uses about 1/2 a quart in maybe 1000 miles, but there's no evidence of oil burning.

Any suggestions of where to look next?
Thanks!

I'll check the fuel pump gasket and dip stick hole...could be. As far as valve cover breathers, there's a hose from the passenger side cover into the air cleaner, and a PCV on the driver's side into the base of the manifold, but both of them are dry on the putside.

I had a similar problem with a small block Chevy once. It ended up being a missing bolt in front of the block by the fuel pump. I put a bolt in and it was cured. It was on a tuned port motor and I ended up removing everything from the front of the motor (alternator, belts, pulleys, etc...) and degreasing the front of the motor and just running/watching it until it started to leak. Then I found it:cheers:

If your car has power steering it might be the power steering pump - car I had years ago did the same thing. Changed the pump and it stopped.

-
Back