Hard to reach rust quarter panel

-

kennethjohn09

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to remove rust or encapsulate rust inside quarter panels

IMG_4784.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello, Ken. Welcome to the site. Before we can help you, we need some more information. You are new to the site, so let me school you a bit. You ask if Charger body panels will fit on a 74 A Body. There are a lot of guys on this site who are really good with body work, but we need to know things like what model of charger (older 2 doors or modern 4 doors), which panels on your car need to be repaired and do you want to maintain a stock appearance or do some customization. If you are looking to maintain a stock appearance, I doubt there will be much from any Charger that will properly fit your Dart. That being said, you can use used panels from a dissimilar car as a patch panel if the crown (curvature) of the metal matches what you are working on. Please post some pictures of what needs to be repaired and we can more intelligently chime in. Plus, you can always post a parts request in our 'Wanted' section. You might just get exactly what you want.

my quarter panel got a lot of rust inside which i can’t really get into. Thinking about the 74 charger 2 door which is 115 on wheelbase that pretty close to my dart’s 111 wheelbase. I saw they have pretty similar engine bay cabin looks similar too i know the k bodies on on both a and b bodies can interchange

IMG_4784.jpeg

IMG_4785.jpeg

my quarter panel got a lot of rust inside which i can’t really get into. Thinking about the 74 charger 2 door which is 115 on wheelbase that pretty close to my dart’s 111 wheelbase. I saw they have pretty similar engine bay cabin looks similar too i know the k bodies on on both a and b bodies can interchange

View attachment 1716222627

View attachment 1716222628

I was thinking full blown changing the dart to a charger

So, lemme get this straight.

Instead of doing a fairly straightforward quarter panel repair/replacement on a ‘74 Dart, you’re going to rebody a ‘74 Charger onto a ‘74 Dart. You know, taking care of a 4” differential in wheelbase, a few inch difference in width, and oh right, literally none of the structural components being in the same place between two unibodies.

This has to be a joke.

If you had the skill to “change the dart into a charger” you could just replace the quarter panels and be done.

Hell if you have enough of a ‘74 Charger body to do that, just drive it instead.

Troll on.

Many forum members are polite.
I was SO tempted to unload on this guy. This has to be either a guy playing a joke or someone that is really confused.

Interesting, completely edited the original title and all of the posts. Well you can read the quotes so my previous response makes sense.

Media blasting is an option, so would be rust encapsulation like POR 15 or others from Eastwood. Rust conversion with a phosphoric acid based rust converting product would also be an option, to be followed with encapsulation.

If there are areas that are more than just the surface rust shown you’ll have to replace that section of panel, so opening it up from the outside which will allow better access before the patch is welded in.

-
Back