hardened exhaust seats

-

ir3333

Reaction score
had both '72 and '73 cuda and challenger back in the day...no problems and ran unleaded fuel.
...what year did induction hardened seats begin on 340?
...is a proper valve job good enough?

From what I have read, hardened seats started in 73. I think all cars were burning unleaded by 75(by law) and so manufacturers started getting ready early.
Will a good valve job make a difference? No. Many people argue about whether hardened valve seats are even needed. I have never personally had a problem with sunken valve seats nor have I ever even seen them myself. Only plenty of stories of them. Enough that I would tend to believe them. Dennis

Not "hardened seats",as in hardened inserts. Induction Hardened seats,sound better. The top.020-.040" of the seat surfaces,were flame tempered on top. After a good valve job or two,gone. Ask anyone,who has seen some heads,equipped with early/mid 70's egr.

Here is my original 340 with x heads. These heads have 75,000 miles on them since they had a valve job back in the early 80s. No additive in the fuel and obviously none of the valves are sunken.

Attachments

• 100_2959.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 220
Always install them. I've had a pair of heads that had sunken valves. Nope deal with that crap again.

75k is reasonable milage, but not high by any means, nothing I'd rebuild if everything checked out ok.

I will say, that when I opened up my 302s, the induction hardened head was fine, but the valves were spread and pitted beyond use. I think the induction hardening saved the seats. No idea on mileage. When I put stainless valves in, they checked out square.

Hardened seats are a good idea, especially with higher combustion temps/ 150+ cyl psi applications.

I guess it depends on how much milage you want out of the engine and what kind of heat they will see/ usage. Build it to fit the bill.

...that was my thought,original heads with a proper valve job would probably be fine for
most.
...these cars usually see less than a couple of thousand miles a year.

-
Back